Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cargo Hitch receiver basket

Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo Hitch receiver basket

Hey all,

I am going on a wheeling and camping weekend (expedition style) so I need to bring my stuff with me every day. I am bring my wife and 2 kids with me so I am going to be a little tight for space. I have been thinking about getting one of these hitch baskets but I am concerned that I will be dragging it over obstacles.

I saw one a basket that has an 8" rise on it...so it sits a lot higher but they want $350 for it.

Do you know of any other hitch baskets that sit higher so it will give me the clearance i need? Or is there a place where I can buy an adapter so that if I buy a basket that sits level I can make it sit higher?

This is the one that I am referring to

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	359380
Thanks,

Last edited by Matador; 08-28-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Wilderness Trail Rack is one option. It mounts behind your spare and rides above it. Well out of the way. May not be as easy to remove as the one you mentioned.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Also found Olympic 4x4 Off-Road Rack that mounts directly to the spare.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matador
Hey all,

I am going on a wheeling and camping weekend (expedition style) so I need to bring my stuff with me every day. I am bring my wife and 2 kids with me so I am going to be a little tight for space. I have been thinking about getting one of these hitch baskets but I am concerned that I will be dragging it over obstacles.

I saw one a basket that has an 8" rise on it...so it sits a lot higher but they want $350 for it.

Do you know of any other hitch baskets that sit higher so it will give me the clearance i need? Or is there a place where I can buy an adapter so that if I buy a basket that sits level I can make it sit higher?

This is the one that I am referring to

Attachment 359380
Thanks,
If you decide to go with this how do you plan on opening your tailgate?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I can't do the one that mounts to my spare....my tailgate is under enough stress already with the 35" tire.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the aluminum reciever basket from HF. It's super light and only cost $75. Rated capacity is 350#. Wouldn't be hard to take it to a fab shop and have them weld the angle in the reciever bar to raise it up another 6". Flat is good for me because my 35" spare clears it with the tailgate closed.

Quick Reply: Cargo Hitch receiver basket