Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

can't get lower control arms in

Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anytime you mess with the control arms you should always jack it up, even if you dont see it with your naked eye, your axles will roll and change the alignment. On another note, if they are adjustable control arms, check the directions should tell you the proper measurement and go from there, but you should always have the axle off the ground because you will have to twist it one way or another.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are non adjustable..just the stock ones
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ezekiel97
You didn't have to unbolt your control arms to put new springs on. Just loosen them and retighten once you had Jeep back on ground.

Unless you were changing them to newer arms cause your old bushings were shot, that's only time you need to take the bolts out.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wish I would have known that before lol I would have been done a while ago. I have 0 mechanic skills..the fronts have me going on 3 hours....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gearheadette
Anytime you mess with the control arms you should always jack it up, even if you dont see it with your naked eye, your axles will roll and change the alignment. On another note, if they are adjustable control arms, check the directions should tell you the proper measurement and go from there, but you should always have the axle off the ground because you will have to twist it one way or another.
your axles will still twist, jack it up off the ground using the frame
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Wish I would have known that before lol I would have been done a while ago. I have 0 mechanic skills..the fronts have me going on 3 hours....
Hey, it's a learning game. Next time you change springs or put on a lift you'll know what to do to make it easier.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Hey, it's a learning game. Next time you change springs or put on a lift you'll know what to do to make it easier.
yeah I figure I have to start somewhere. I'm hoping the rears are easier especially since I know a little more than earlier. I'm contemplating just swapping shocks since the rake is gone or calling it done for the day and doing them next week or taking it to the shop.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must be doing something wrong. I need to get jack stands under the frame and then push the front axle to where it should be?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

I must be doing something wrong. I need to get jack stands under the frame and then push the front axle to where it should be?
Where it lines up, you just gotta play with it. Sometimes it takes muscle, sometimes lovins
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

should I be in neutral or park with the ebrake up? my front tires should also still be on the ground right?

Quick Reply: can't get lower control arms in