Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can't get into my Tuffy underseat lockbox!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get into my Tuffy underseat lockbox!

My phone is locked in there and my wallet and it won't open! The key goes about half way through the rotation and then stops. Maybe there's something blocking the lock? What should I do?!?!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure how the locking mechanism is designed on your unit, but I imagine it is like a lot of simple lock boxes where an arm rotates as the key is turned. If that is the case something is possibly lodged underneath the arm preventing it from coming down and unlocking. I would start by smacking the front a bunch of times with your palm a few times to see it that dislodges it, maybe give the bottom a couple whacks if there is a big enough gap. Or use your imagination and use variants of that technique! Hope that helped some.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Go really fast in reverse and slam on the brakes! That should move whatever is blocking your latch.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Can't get into my Tuffy underseat lockbox!

Try beating the crap out of the front of it to move whatever is blocking it. Worst case is drill the lock. The rear latch is normally held on by 2 small screws that go into the main cylinder. Drill a big hole thru it and that should take the latch off too. That is a last resort though. The lock is replaceable. May cost you twenty bucks to change. Hope beating it works. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try driving up a steep slope or ramp or rock or something so the stuff in the box slides to the back? Or call Tuffy and see what they have to say.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

....throw it in reverse down a hill and slam on the breaks...maybe your phone that's probably wedge'd itself under the lock mechanism will slide back and come loose. Maybe some WD-40 or a good swift kick.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CA-JK
Go really fast in reverse and slam on the brakes! That should move whatever is blocking your latch.
Haha I was doing that for about 5 minutes. Everyone was looking at me...so I stopped.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just went and took a look at mine and it appears that if your wallet or cellphone is directly under the lock mechanism, it will prevent it from completely unlocking. In other words, the exact symptom you are having. I suggest getting into your Jeep, accelerate in forward gear and jam on the brakes. Do the same in reverse. Hopefully, that will shift the items inside and free up the locking mechanism.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CA-JK

That thought was going through my head when I mentioned "other alternative methods" but I didn't want to be the one that got the proverbial "look of death" if something happened to his vic!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just shaking at it, pounding at it and reverse breaking it. I can't get it open. meh.

Quick Reply: Can't get into my Tuffy underseat lockbox!