Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

cant decide on a lift- need help

Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant decide on a lift- need help

ok, so I know Im going to sound like a complete noob (which I am) but I cant decide which lift kit to get. I have read a lot of threads and stickies and learned a lot and narrowed down my decisions. I'll start by mentioning I am not doing any extreme wheeling. I actually bought my jeep back in November 2012. I went wheeling quite often with it stock and took it wheeling to some places a stock jeep probably shouldn't go. Did a good amount of damage, but hey I was wheeling with other heavy modified jeeps and I had a blast.

That being said, I am now more of the light trail, just want to get off the pavement type. Got more serious into racing dirtbikes and that takes up most of my time and budget. I have an 08 wrangler X, 6-speed, 2 door. I would like to run 33 inch tires. So I figured a 2.5 inch lift would be good. Cant decide between a 2.5 inch "coil" lift with shocks, or a 2.5 inch coil spacer and shock spacer lift. Not sure how important the rear track bar relocater is on just a 2.5" lift either. Either way it seems like both lifts come with bumpstops.

From what iv seen the coil spacer lift is relatively much cheaper, and I would like to know if it would be worth it saving the extra money. And from what iv read, with a 2.5 inch lift there wouldn't be really any other mods I would have to do right? such as driveshafts, extended brake lines, sway bars and such. That's what I gathered from previous threads and just want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly. I would also be adding a new front and rear bumper, nothing crazy but something that isn't stock and im wondering if that weight is going to make the jeep lose height with just a coil spacer lift.

And from what iv seen online, Teraflex, Rubicon Express, and Skyjacker seem to catch my eyes the most. If im missing anything important just let me know, and I appreciate all the feedback in advance.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed an AEV 2.5" lift with its drop brackets for around $1K... very happy with it so far. The kit was complete and other than tires (I installed 35") and wheel spacers, it transformed the Jeep to another level as far as offroad is concerned. I would go with the suspension lift over the spacer route everytime... If you dont have the money, save for it. Why do it twice.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redridge
I installed an AEV 2.5" lift with its drop brackets for around $1K... very happy with it so far. The kit was complete and other than tires (I installed 35") and wheel spacers, it transformed the Jeep to another level as far as offroad is concerned. I would go with the suspension lift over the spacer route everytime... If you dont have the money, save for it. Why do it twice.
Exactly, I would save a little and go with a suspension over spacer any day. I'm running a Rubicon Express 2.5" lift and 35s and am very happy with it.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

IF you really want to gain some off road ability skip the 33's and go to 35's. Off road traction will be much better and you will have more ground clearance. A 2.5" lift and 33's is of little improvement over stock for what you are going to spend.

As far as a spacer lift vs a coil lift, a coil lift has two advantages: allows you to choose a different coil for ride quality and it may allow you to gain more down travel without dropping the coil when using long travel shocks. Depending on the rest of your set up they may help or may not but making a blanket statement that a coil lift is always superior to a spacer lift is false. IF you are happy with the ride of the factory suspension then a coil spacer and shocks exstentions are fine to gain the extra height needed for bigger tires while keeping the cost at a minimum.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 02-20-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: cant decide on a lift- need help