Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cannot remove McGard wheel locks

Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main problem is that the locks are on really, really, really, REALLY tight. I have broken three lock keys trying to remove them. I'm afraid the specific wheel lock removal tools (with reverse cut grooves) will not work. Plus, the outer ring spins freely so it seems like that option is out. The only options I see are:

1. Split the lock with a chisel -- air or other
2. Weld a nut on and twist it off
3. Drill a hole in the center, buy another wheel lock key, hope for the best (as someone previously mentioned)

Thanks so far for the tips. Any other ideas welcome

Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just an idea, have you tried over tightening the 4 regular lug nuts then tried to loosen the locks first?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea...I just hammered the grooved sockets past the spinning point and twisted right off.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Been there done that.... Heads up - Don't let any service ( dealer or whatever) take these on or off. These locks and keys are not Impact wrench friendly and will destroy them. These locks don't need to be torqued that damn tight plus the pattern can easily be ruined leaving you fucked. I rotate my tires myself but if I do need to have someone else work my rig I make sure ONLY I remove as well as install the locks
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

i had the exact same issue. I had 3 of (all on different tires) totally freeze up for no reason. I tried everything i could think of. Heat. breaker bar, pounding a 12pt on, pipe wrench, spray lube, cursing at it, swing a dead cat at it.. nothing worked. Eventualy ended up using a dremel and cut most of the nut off, then used a hammer and chisel (and choice language) to try to spin the last pieces off. Swore i would never use locks again
Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
Been there done that.... Heads up - Don't let any service ( dealer or whatever) take these on or off. These locks and keys are not Impact wrench friendly and will destroy them. These locks don't need to be torqued that damn tight plus the pattern can easily be ruined leaving you fucked. I rotate my tires myself but if I do need to have someone else work my rig I make sure ONLY I remove as well as install the locks
The tire shop broke my original wheel lock key with their impact and I gave them a piece of my mind for doing that. Later, when I received my two replacement keys and broke those by hand I kinda felt bad. But still, I agree, not impact friendly.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKagermeister

The tire shop broke my original wheel lock key with their impact and I gave them a piece of my mind for doing that. Later, when I received my two replacement keys and broke those by hand I kinda felt bad. But still, I agree, not impact friendly.
They probably had the inpact on tighten and they probably torqued the crap outta of that lock, this could be the reason why you cant get it off
Old 04-14-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got them off! Here's how:

Took them to my Dad's work; Mack truck sales & service:

1. Used an air powered saw to remove the wheel lock outer ring (this spun freely when we hammered on a 12 point socket)
2. Used the same air saw to cut a groove/notch in the wheel lock
3. Used that notch to insert an air hammer and twist them off

I tell you this was not an easy task. I watched the guy do it and at some point had to look away because he did damage the wheels a bit but I cannot fault him. It is what it is and the damage is minor.

In other news the 35's are now on. Check the other threads (35s, 35s on stock wheels, yada yada) for details next week as I am heading out of town for my bachelor party in Put-in-Bay, OH!

Thanks everyone for their input and hopefully my solution will help another Jeeper out there.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
Got them off! Here's how:

Took them to my Dad's work; Mack truck sales & service:

1. Used an air powered saw to remove the wheel lock outer ring (this spun freely when we hammered on a 12 point socket)
2. Used the same air saw to cut a groove/notch in the wheel lock
3. Used that notch to insert an air hammer and twist them off

I tell you this was not an easy task. I watched the guy do it and at some point had to look away because he did damage the wheels a bit but I cannot fault him. It is what it is and the damage is minor.

In other news the 35's are now on. Check the other threads (35s, 35s on stock wheels, yada yada) for details next week as I am heading out of town for my bachelor party in Put-in-Bay, OH!

Thanks everyone for their input and hopefully my solution will help another Jeeper out there.

Congrats on getting the lug off and to getting married, have fun for your bachelor party
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad it worked out for ya. I have a set of locks to put on but now wondering if it's worth the possible future aggrevation.

Quick Reply: Cannot remove McGard wheel locks