Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cannot remove McGard wheel locks

Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot remove McGard wheel locks

So I have some 35x12.50R18 Toyo's just begging to get put on my Jeep and I cannot get the McGard wheel locks off and I am running out of options...

Background:

-Every lug was tight as F and took a 2' breaker bar to remove (I was the last to touch the lugs)
-I have taken the wheels off for rotations several times with no problems
-Every time I have reinstalled in the past I tighten to 70-80 lb-ft with no issure removing afterwards
-Last time they were off I installed Spidertrax aluminum wheel spacers - perhaps this is somehow causing the problem...
-I have broken 3 wheel lock keys trying to remove the locks
-I have hammered a 12 point socket over the lock to find out the outer ring on the lock spins freely
-The tire shop is suggesting an air chisel to remove (split?) the wheel locks but they say this may damage my wheels

What are my other options fellow Jeepers?

EDIT: I know I could have someone weld a nut on the end of the lock. Anyone have luck with that?

Last edited by JKagermeister; 04-13-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Air hammer works like a charm! do it all the time at work with crap aftermarket locks.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jack up jeep. take all the nuts off. postion the remaining lock lug on the bottom. Pull outward on the top of the tire (hard), push back toward the vehicle. this will stretch the stud enough to loosen the nut , replace stud with a new one.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wasntborn2follow
Air hammer works like a charm! do it all the time at work with crap aftermarket locks.
So do you think I would be safe letting the tire shop do this for me? I'm sure they would charge me accordingly...
Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

if you have time drill a small hole in the center and spray some release all in and let it sit for a day. then if that dont work take a dremmel and small disc to cut a slot then a large slot head screwdriver and hammer and try to split it.

also try a torch to it my be seized heat the nut up fast give a tap then try again to remove it
Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08yellowx
Jack up jeep. take all the nuts off. postion the remaining lock lug on the bottom. Pull outward on the top of the tire (hard), push back toward the vehicle. this will stretch the stud enough to loosen the nut , replace stud with a new one.
Actually, I have tried this method with no success.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
So do you think I would be safe letting the tire shop do this for me? I'm sure they would charge me accordingly...
yeah unless you have an air hammer! if you do go for it.. most of the time it only takes a bump specially if you put it on by hand.. (impact free)

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

The only problem with the tire shop is they will say if they damage your wheel its on you.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check an auto parts store....I removed mine with some lug sockets that have grooves in em and actually grip the locks and just twist em off. Really easy. No need for impacts or anything of that sort. Allthough the locks aren't reuseable afterwards. Ill post later when I get home with the name of em.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KING-JOUST
Check an auto parts store....I removed mine with some lug sockets that have grooves in em and actually grip the locks and just twist em off. Really easy. No need for impacts or anything of that sort. Allthough the locks aren't reuseable afterwards. Ill post later when I get home with the name of em.
thats would prob work best forgot about those

Quick Reply: Cannot remove McGard wheel locks