Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cannot decide on Lift!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot decide on Lift!

hey fellas,

im at a cross roads. im here saving for my lift and wheel/tire combo (17x9 on 35x12.50's) and keep bouncing around on what to get.
im driving a 2010 2dr Rubicon auto.
Mainly Driver Duties with about 1 to 2 times a month trail riding or playing.

i had been decided on a Rough Country 4' long arm with extras but now seeing few other JK's in person i cant say it may be too much? plus the driveshaft expense.

i want to stick with RC due to them being local and getting a hell of a deal on parts being a LEO.
but between lifts i really want either a long arm or replacement arms to correct tire placement and get better flex.
but on the other hand ive read and seen where anything over 3.25 is overkill on a 2dr, but everyone ive seen the rear tires are sucked in towards the front of the wheel opening (I HATE THAT).
so im stuck on what to get as far as a kit or weather i should order the kit with all the goodies and order shorter springs?

i know this is kind of a off the wall rant but i do not want to regret any decisions i make on the lift.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With 35s you only need a leveling kit w/ flat flares or 2.5" with stock flares. Why go more than that? Especially with a 2 door. And as a DD
Old 12-01-2015, 02:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mds22
With 35s you only need a leveling kit w/ flat flares or 2.5" with stock flares. Why go more than that? Especially with a 2 door. And as a DD
I agree! If you want to stiffen up your rig you can add some 4 door springs and get a little more of a lift. I am running both leveling kit and coils with Rubi shocks. However, I am only running 255's. Even a TF leveling kit boasts up to a 34" tire.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Well this is why I'm asking. Because I know about the 2.5 and 35's but what I don't like is how the rear sucks towards the front. Would there be benefit to getting a adjustable arm kit with a 2.5?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

It's your rig, do what you want, but.....

I'd steer clear of RC. Just my opinion. 2.5 on a good lift on a 2 dr should met you about 3.5" depending on the weight of your rig. Long arms are great, but overkill, if you ask me. What are you planning to do with the Jeep after the lift? That'll determine how you need to build it.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billbikes
It's your rig, do what you want, but..... I'd steer clear of RC. Just my opinion. 2.5 on a good lift on a 2 dr should met you about 3.5" depending on the weight of your rig. Long arms are great, but overkill, if you ask me. What are you planning to do with the Jeep after the lift? That'll determine how you need to build it.
Why, specifically, should you steer clear of RC?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Mainly a driver and weekend toy. But even off-road all I do is trail ride nothing crazy, and pull a pontoon boat to the river every once in a while.
not going to do any rock crawling or at thing like that.
as far as the long arms I wasn't figuring they would help with a 2.5 lift. Would even the adjustable short arms help any?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

RC is junk made in China and provides a solution to people that feel they need a lift and don't want to spend the money on quality components. Their joints tend to wear out relatively quick and they use shortcuts like drop brackets, drop pitman arm, and cam bolts.
Long arms are great if they are designed right but unfortianly most for the JK are not designed well and leave bracket hanging down to catch on stuff. On a 2" lift the axles move towards the center about 3/16" so it that bugs you a full set of arms will let you push them back out.

You can click the red link at the bottom of the page for more of my thoughts.

Good luck with the build.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Read what TheDirtMan has written. It's good information.

Rough Country and Rubicon Express is pretty low quality stuff. Stay away from it.

If I were you, I would do a decent budget boost, no more than 2.5". You can do either spacers or a small coil lift. Even the Teraflex 1.5" coil boost would be pretty good for you. I ran 35s on a Rock Krawler budget boost for about a year. Daily Driver, but wheeled it at several off road parks, including rocks.

For what you want, a long arm would be way over kill.

Just because you put on a budget boost today, doesn't mean you can't upgrade it later. I did.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Greep
Why, specifically, should you steer clear of RC?
Just a somewhat informed opinion. It's inferior components that suck people in by their low price point. Most people that go that route end up getting something else after the springs sag, bushings wear, etc.
I see their banners in lifted trucks all the time. Maybe they do a better job there, but there are much better lifts for JKs.

Quick Reply: Cannot decide on Lift!