Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can you use the 32 KM2 Spare with 33's?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you use the 32 KM2 Spare with 33's?

Ugh!

Back and forth with deciding between 35's and 33's.

I think I am going to go with 33's and the new Goodyear MTR 305/70/17

Instead of the 35 12.5 17

Does anyone with 33's not get a 33 spare and just use the 32 if needed?

I never put the Spare into rotation so, it would just be there for limping home/getting through the trail if blowing a tire etc.

The rims are kind of driving it, I am going to use the Mopar Steel Grand Cherokee Full Size Spare Rims and have something set up to get 4 new rims.

I'd rather keep the OEM KM2's on the moab wheels. Plus I fab'd a Gerry Can holder and High Lift set up on the stock rear bumper/gate which I would have to scrap that with the extra inch.

I know the ABS will be screwy but, it would be for limp home or go through the trail.

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't even mess with it, just get the right sized spare. But yes you could drive it with the ESP off and the axles unlocked.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2. Think if you get a flat on a trail that it took you in several places being locked frt and rear then trying to get out unlocked with a smaller tire. I always try to think worst case scenario.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an OLD thread. I am curious if anyone has any first hand experience with this? I plan on getting 33" KM2 tires for my Jeep and leave the stock SRA on the spare, so I can cover it. I THINK I have a limited slip rear end, since I can be "tail happy" in the snow with ease.

I just want to know if I can get away with using a 32" spare on my jeep (open front d30) if I get a flat on the highway or something...
Old 12-20-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I used the stock 29" spare on my old WJ just fine with 31" tires.

Had a flat on a trail. WJ had quadra--drive. The 3 good tires were aired down to 15psi so were more like 30" in height.

Stock I left at full pressure. No problems.

With a locker or limited slip, sure it will be a little funny, but on a budget, to get off a trail or to limp to a station to have the tire fixed, I would have no problems doing this.

On my old ZJ with the NP249 I had the same set up but I had a 30" tire for a spare and 31x10.5 tires. Got a nail in the tire on-road.

I aired the 3 good ones down to 20 psi and put the spare on at full pressure. Drove 50MPH for about 20 minutes to the next gas station and got it fixed.

The NP249 is VERY sensitive and will burn up the viscous coupling with mis-matched tires. I mention this as mine had 130,000 miles and functioned perfectly fine. ZJ was a '94 so it was more biased towards to having the front drive shaft spinning compared with the '96 that were not biased towards the front driveshaft as much.

Just use your head and it's fine as a TEMPORARY solution.

Sure, it is best to have a full size matching spare, but I also understand budget constraints. Do the large size, save up another 2 months and buy the matching spare.

fyi, I carry a tire repair kit now and air compressor. I do about 35,000 miles a year and am often in very remote areas. They area bout $25 for a kit and super easy to use.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Junkie

The reason for this is that I never stick with one brand of tire very long. I will get KM2 and then after a year or two I will go with trXus or some other brand.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
The reason for this is that I never stick with one brand of tire very long. I will get KM2 and then after a year or two I will go with trXus or some other brand.
I'll take the KM2s off your hands next year if you want.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
Sorry to revive an OLD thread. I am curious if anyone has any first hand experience with this? I plan on getting 33" KM2 tires for my Jeep and leave the stock SRA on the spare, so I can cover it. I THINK I have a limited slip rear end, since I can be "tail happy" in the snow with ease.

I just want to know if I can get away with using a 32" spare on my jeep (open front d30) if I get a flat on the highway or something...
Wait till you can buy the spare.

But you can always just try it yourself.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Well. I don't hardcore wheel my Jeep, so flat tires would be caused by on road debris. Also, buy 5 tires and having to pay someone to rotate all 5 is a pain. I plan to just cover the 32" and run 4 33s. If I went 35s, then I would have a matching spare for sure.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it will also activate the stability control

Quick Reply: Can you use the 32 KM2 Spare with 33's?