Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can you update the odometer for larger tires.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you update the odometer for larger tires.

I have 35's now and am wondering if there is something I can buy to make my odometer and speedometer correct?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had 33's put on by the dealership 4WD shop and they were able to recal the speedo through the computer. Hope this helps......
Old 02-25-2007, 04:46 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by St. George Jeepin
I have 35's now and am wondering if there is something I can buy to make my odometer and speedometer correct?
No, not at this time. Your dealer can only set your speedo up to a 32" tire.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
No, not at this time. Your dealer can only set your speedo up to a 32" tire.

Hmmmmmmm................the dealer was less than honest with me!!! Say it isn't so!!!

But really, the service guy said they got it to within .5 MPH, I have yet to check it with a GPS.

On level highway using cruise, I have timed it at 60MPH for several miles and it clocks one mile per minute.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John L
Hmmmmmmm................the dealer was less than honest with me!!! Say it isn't so!!!

But really, the service guy said they got it to within .5 MPH, I have yet to check it with a GPS.

On level highway using cruise, I have timed it at 60MPH for several miles and it clocks one mile per minute.
Yes it is so....

I have 33's also and they could only get it within 1.5 mph at 60. That still isn't bad, that means at 120 mph I am 3 mph off......

I checked it with my wifes car and 2 GPS's.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine on 35's is off 4 mph at 65 (actually doing 69), gps checked.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 AM
cablerep79

"That still isn't bad, that means at 120 mph I am 3 mph off"

Hehehe....I've always heard Fl was flat, didn't realize it was actually all downhill!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by John L

If you think about it, a 33" tire is just a little bit taller than a 32" tire and if your service guy set your speedo to the highest tire size they could, you would just be a little off as they seem to have confirmed. Also, no tire measure exactly to what the sidewall states and with a few exceptions, more times than not they are significantly shorter than advertised. Don't believe me, just go out side and measure the height of your tires with a tape measure and see how off it is from the actual size. Need I say, depending on what tire make/model you have, you just might be a lot closer to what a 32" tire on the high side might be.

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Mine on 35's is off 4 mph at 65 (actually doing 69), gps checked.
That sounds about right based on what I have seen on other JK's with the same setup.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Rubicon Martin

Default AfterMarket Sources?

I see you state that the OEM/Dealer Network can only compensate for up to a 32" Tire. I am curious about a couple of things though.

1. Is there any word of Dealers going beyond this Height?
We all know how OEMs are about Mods and 32" is the stock Height
for a Rubicon.

2. Have any AfterMarket Companies stepped up to say they will make
available these recalibrations.

Superchips and other companies have these available for other Makes
and Models, and they also allow you to reprogram your shift points and
fuel mapping for certain engine mods.

This would be good to know for when my Rubicon Arrives - It won't be stock for long.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Rubicon Martin
I see you state that the OEM/Dealer Network can only compensate for up to a 32" Tire. I am curious about a couple of things though.

1. Is there any word of Dealers going beyond this Height?
We all know how OEMs are about Mods and 32" is the stock Height
for a Rubicon.
I don't think it's a matter of "going beyond" a specific height that's the problem but rather, they just aren't able to. I have good contact in the Jeep industry and trust me, they just don't have the means to do it for the 07 JK or even for the 03-06 Rubicons for whatever it's worth.

2. Have any AfterMarket Companies stepped up to say they will make
available these recalibrations.

Superchips and other companies have these available for other Makes
and Models, and they also allow you to reprogram your shift points and
fuel mapping for certain engine mods.
Yes, there are companies like Superlift that do make a chip and it may work for the JK but to the best of my knowledge, it has not been officially tested yet and they are not advertising it to work on the JK at this time. However, I'm sure they and a few other compaines will have a fix for this in the near future.

Quick Reply: Can you update the odometer for larger tires.