Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can you install additional sliders over rubicon rock rails?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brighton
Do you have personal experience with the Ace rails, or is that something you read on an interweb forum? I only ask because in 3 years of owning the rails, I've never once slipped, nor has my wife or my two kids, or anyone else that has been in my jeep. We don't have snow in Florida, but plenty of rain and mud. I've never felt the need to, but if it's really a concern, you can also add 3M anti-skid tape to the top of the rail.

My Ace rails replaced the OEM plastic steps and they offer great protection from rocks, tree stumps, etc. and also provide a useful step. This is from a recent trip where my Ace rails saved me from damage other than some scrapped powdercoat on the rails. I'm not sure the Rubi rails by themselves would have held up as well:

Attachment 520031
Not sure why you feel the need to insult, but my experience is first hand. In fact, unless I have specifically stated otherwise, it always is. My reply was not toward any brand but rather toward a round tube in general. It's tough to argue that mud covered boots on a mud covered tube is less than ideal for a step. I never stated that the Ace Rails wound't provide protection, I merely stated that they are a less than ideal step.

Just out of curiosity: You mentioned that you replaced your stock plastic step with the ACE Rail. Do you also have a Rubi Rail? The Rubi rail takes up some space and makes the Ace Rail narrower for use as a step. This might impact your experience in using it as a step.

Your suggestion to use anti-skid tape is a good one and would likely help.

Please don't get me wrong; Many opinions from many people is what makes this (or any) forum great. I just think you could've shared your experience without insulting someone else or belittling their experience. (In this case me)
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Not sure why you feel the need to insult, but my experience is first hand. In fact, unless I have specifically stated otherwise, it always is. My reply was not toward any brand but rather toward a round tube in general. It's tough to argue that mud covered boots on a mud covered tube is less than ideal for a step. I never stated that the Ace Rails wound't provide protection, I merely stated that they are a less than ideal step.

Just out of curiosity: You mentioned that you replaced your stock plastic step with the ACE Rail. Do you also have a Rubi Rail? The Rubi rail takes up some space and makes the Ace Rail narrower for use as a step. This might impact your experience in using it as a step.

Your suggestion to use anti-skid tape is a good one and would likely help.

Please don't get me wrong; Many opinions from many people is what makes this (or any) forum great. I just think you could've shared your experience without insulting someone else or belittling their experience. (In this case me)
Sorry my apologies, in hindsight I could have been more tactful (i.e. less of a horse's behind). I do have the Rubi rails also, but I don't find they really take away from using the Ace rails as a step. In fact, they close some of the gap between the body and Ace rails. I've had adults with big feet and kids with small feet in my jeep and I've never heard any complaints, and it's a large step up for my short wife and kids with my lift and 35's. I don't know if it's the roughness of the powdercoating, or maybe the Ace tube is thicker than some others, but it just hasn't been a problem.

I don't have direct knowledge of this, but I've heard some say that the Ace rails can flex enough in some extreme situations to push into the tub, and the Rubi rails can provide some additional protection. I haven't been on the type of extreme trails to encounter this phenomenon, so it may be just one of those internet rumors. In any case, the Ace rails along with the Rubi rails have been on my jeep for 3 years and I love the combination. It's saved me from damage on a number of occasions on rocks, tree stumps, etc. The Ace rails do reduce clearance by a slight amount, so that might be a factor for the extreme rock crawlers.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I think it will depend on your footware. Can't speak for the Ace, but my Shrockworks get pretty darned slippery when wet if I'm wearing my hiking boots (which when I'm off road I generally do). They are not so bad if I'm wearing my sandals. The rails are just semi-gloss black powdercoat. The advice about anti-skid tape is spot on. In fact, the Jeep I posted above has exactly that on his Shrockworks rails.
I usually wear hiking boots when off-roading, sandals most of the year (I'm in Florida after all), and dress shoes for work most days. I can't even begin to describe all the types of shoes, sandals, and flip-flops my wife and kids wear. I really wonder if maybe the texture of the powdercoating is much different on the Ace rails versus some others.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by brighton
Sorry my apologies, in hindsight I could have been more tactful (i.e. less of a horse's behind).
No worries It must be that time of the month because I think I over-reacted and made something big out of something that wasn't...

The rails that I banged my shin on did not have a textured finish. Is this something ACE changed? This happened on a buddy's Jeep. (While I've mastered the art of jumping in a Jeep on the driver's side without a step, I was uncomfortable getting in the passenger side. The result was comical as I failed BIG-TIME and turfed it face-down in the mud.) Anyway his Jeep is an 08' and he has had the rails as long as I can remember.

Edit to add: They have held up pretty well, and he runs his stock Rubi rails too.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Early on I gave my Rubicon rails up after buying my Body Armor for a steps. They mounted to the pinch seam also, so I no longer could use the Rubi Rails. Now made up some bracket that welded up to the frame to mount the Body Armor steps. My question is how low from the pinch seam does the Rubi Rails hang? I'm just trying to cover up my pinch seam at this point.Click image for larger version

Name:	BodyarmorWe.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	520066

PS: The Poison Spider might be another option
Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
Early on I gave my Rubicon rails up after buying my Body Armor for a steps. They mounted to the pinch seam also, so I no longer could use the Rubi Rails. Now made up some bracket that welded up to the frame to mount the Body Armor steps. My question is how low from the pinch seam does the Rubi Rails hang? I'm just trying to cover up my pinch seam at this point.Attachment 520066

PS: The Poison Spider might be another option
My jeep is in the shop getting new gears so I don't have it to measure, but the Rubi rails don't really hang below the pinch seam. If it is lower, it's a very small amount. As an alternative, I've heard that some have just bedlined the pinch seam to make it less noticeable. Don't know how much difference that would make with your black jeep though.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ace sliders and rubi rails. They have taken multiple hard hits and never budged. Ace makes some quality stuff!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4219194447.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	520105  

Quick Reply: Can you install additional sliders over rubicon rock rails?