Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can you install additional sliders over rubicon rock rails?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matsango
Do the rubicon rails get in the way of of using the ace sliders as a step? Are they at the same height?
No they do not, the Ace sliders are under the Rubi rails. I'm very happy with the combo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3440533512.jpg
Views:	1678
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	519514
Old 12-27-2013, 10:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

If you have the patience(can take weeks, even months for delivery), Shrockworks will make a set that works with the OEM Rubi rails ...

Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the rugged ridge rock rails over the rubicon rails. I was looking to go with the ACE sliders but found both the rubicon rails and the rugged ridge ones used for a considerable saving ( especially on shipping to Canada).

I don't think they are supposed to work together and the guy I bought the rugged ridge rails off removed them because they rattled against his rubicon rails. When I installed them I bed lined them and glued a section of inner tube at the points where the rails come close. Almost 3 years on and they don't rattle and have protected me from rocks. They work well as steps for the kids an putting things on the roof rack.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Brut4ce down in Oceanside, CA does a nice weld-on addition to the rubi sliders.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

These ACE sliders hold up pretty well against rocks and what not?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

The JKU rubi rails weigh over 80lbs, the 2 Door ones are around 65lbs. Why add that much cosmetic weight? If you want to add Rubi rails, they will always hold their value used (100-200$), so you can always resell them. Or buy some sliders that look good without the need for Rubi rails!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matsango
Do the rubicon rails get in the way of of using the ace sliders as a step? Are they at the same height?
If you need a step then get something that is designed to be used as a step. The round bar is VERY slippery when covered with mud or snow and you are more likely to bust a shin.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
If you need a step then get something that is designed to be used as a step. The round bar is VERY slippery when covered with mud or snow and you are more likely to bust a shin.
This is how I ended up with the Smittybilt classic
Sides with steps. They are basically Rubi rails with a slider and step welded on. The step is a nice solid platform, but integrated into the slider so it doesn't hang low and rob any ground clearance.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Do you have personal experience with the Ace rails, or is that something you read on an interweb forum? I only ask because in 3 years of owning the rails, I've never once slipped, nor has my wife or my two kids, or anyone else that has been in my jeep. We don't have snow in Florida, but plenty of rain and mud. I've never felt the need to, but if it's really a concern, you can also add 3M anti-skid tape to the top of the rail.

My Ace rails replaced the OEM plastic steps and they offer great protection from rocks, tree stumps, etc. and also provide a useful step. This is from a recent trip where my Ace rails saved me from damage other than some scrapped powdercoat on the rails. I'm not sure the Rubi rails by themselves would have held up as well:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2013-11-10-11h35m26s140(sm).jpg
Views:	484
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	520031
Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by brighton
Do you have personal experience with the Ace rails, or is that something you read on an interweb forum? I only ask because in 3 years of owning the rails, I've never once slipped, nor has my wife or my two kids, or anyone else that has been in my jeep. We don't have snow in Florida, but plenty of rain and mud. I've never felt the need to, but if it's really a concern, you can also add 3M anti-skid tape to the top of the rail. ...
I think it will depend on your footware. Can't speak for the Ace, but my Shrockworks get pretty darned slippery when wet if I'm wearing my hiking boots (which when I'm off road I generally do). They are not so bad if I'm wearing my sandals. The rails are just semi-gloss black powdercoat. The advice about anti-skid tape is spot on. In fact, the Jeep I posted above has exactly that on his Shrockworks rails.

Quick Reply: Can you install additional sliders over rubicon rock rails?