Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can you fix chipped powdercoat?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you fix chipped powdercoat?

Does anyone know of any easy way to fix chipped powdercoat. My front bumper was damaged in transit and unfortunately the mfg wants nothing to do with it. I'm fed up with their crap and don't want to deal with them any more. Should I just slop some touch-up on it, or is there a better way?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcharge74
Does anyone know of any easy way to fix chipped powdercoat. My front bumper was damaged in transit and unfortunately the mfg wants nothing to do with it. I'm fed up with their crap and don't want to deal with them any more. Should I just slop some touch-up on it, or is there a better way?

Who is the MFG/place you bought it? Not going to do business with them!!!! Sorry mannnnnnnnnn!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

How bad is it? I think if it's just a little bit then go ahead and touch it up with some paint and you probably won't ever notice it.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I believe powder coat is applied electrostatically and then cured in an oven.

You may try some epoxy spray but you will need to paint the whole thing. Maybe a paint shop could do it for you?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I believe powder coat is applied electrostatically and then cured in an oven.

You may try some epoxy spray but you will need to paint the whole thing. Maybe a paint shop could do it for you?
Do you mean like a Line-x type coating? Can that be applied directly over powdercoat?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should REALLY let us know who the manufacturer is so we can STAY AWAY from them. That's straight up BS... I pray they aren't a sponsor here.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aermotor
You should REALLY let us know who the manufacturer is so we can STAY AWAY from them. That's straight up BS... I pray they aren't a sponsor here.
Yeah I agree.... Name NAMES.... We have to all stick together out here... Thx
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dcharge74
Does anyone know of any easy way to fix chipped powdercoat...
If it’s scratched down to the metal you can spray some Rustoleum in a small paper cup and use a small paint brush to dab on the scratches to keep them from rusting.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe002
If it’s scratched down to the metal you can spray some Rustoleum in a small paper cup and use a small paint brush to dab on the scratches to keep them from rusting.
Or you can buy the non spray can version of Rustoleum and save yourself that step. I was using it today to touch up the gouges on my sliders. I like it better than the spray can for touch ups.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe002
x2 this is what I do to prevent rust. It will keep it from chipping and honestly you will be the only one who will see the damage because you know where it is.

Quick Reply: Can you fix chipped powdercoat?