Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can an off-road trailer be modified for highway travel

Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an off-road trailer be modified for highway travel

A family member has offered to sell me his Bosski 800 Aluminum ATV Wagon camp trailer for $600. This trailer is in near perfect condition and all things being equal I would love to buy it even if it was just to resell it to get cash for different off road trailer. They sell for $1,200 new and this one is in like new condition. My conundrum is that I am only a few days away from moving from the east coast to the west coast and would have to pull the trailer 3,000 miles if I bought it. In it's stock condition it is not suitable for highway use but what could I do to change that.

Is it as simple as putting boat trailer wheels and tires on and keeping everything else the same? Would I need a different axle? From eyballing the trailer I think that a normal sized trailer axle would be as wide as this axle plus the wheels. I have never owned a trailer but would like to get one now that I will be taking my whole family (dogs included) on any wheeling and camping trips for the foreseeable future. My dog takes up the whole back of my JKU. I used to have a Gobi rack on my 2dr JK but I sold that Jeep.

What would you fine folks do in my situation?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

I am sure for its designed use it is a good trailer. The modifications that you would need to make to make it road legal and/or capable would be many. I personally feel you would be better off with a trailer designed and built from the start for your intended purposes.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

What kind of axle are we dealing with? pictures would be helpful. if you're thinking about buying an "ATV" trailer i would think about frame pay load, needs lights but thas easy, lets see some pictures please.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by thirstypirate
A family member has offered to sell me his Bosski 800 Aluminum ATV Wagon camp trailer for $600. This trailer is in near perfect condition and all things being equal I would love to buy it even if it was just to resell it to get cash for different off road trailer. They sell for $1,200 new and this one is in like new condition. My conundrum is that I am only a few days away from moving from the east coast to the west coast and would have to pull the trailer 3,000 miles if I bought it. In it's stock condition it is not suitable for highway use but what could I do to change that.

Is it as simple as putting boat trailer wheels and tires on and keeping everything else the same? Would I need a different axle? From eyballing the trailer I think that a normal sized trailer axle would be as wide as this axle plus the wheels. I have never owned a trailer but would like to get one now that I will be taking my whole family (dogs included) on any wheeling and camping trips for the foreseeable future. My dog takes up the whole back of my JKU. I used to have a Gobi rack on my 2dr JK but I sold that Jeep.

What would you fine folks do in my situation?
Well I know it would need new dot tires, and brake/turn signals then it would need to be taken to (here in washington) the state patrol for an inspection. If it passes they stamp a Vin number and issue a licence plate. Ohh yeah don't forget side marker lights
Old 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

If you buy it, you can always rent a uhaul and tow it to the west that way. Then when you've got time at your new place do the mods you want with it then.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-30-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GreenJKBooger
What kind of axle are we dealing with? pictures would be helpful. if you're thinking about buying an "ATV" trailer i would think about frame pay load, needs lights but thas easy, lets see some pictures please.
I didn't take any pictures of the actual trailer when I went to check it out. There are a few pictures from the link in the original post. If I wasn't moving so soon I would just buy it at that price and resell it to get money for a Dinoot build or some other type of trailer. I have to agree with you guys that the mods needed to get this thing on the road would be too many to be worth it.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

I cant really tell from the video, but that axle seems weak. i could see problems when you hitch up. without a soild axle you cant get the lift you need to ride level. and you would have a huge receiver drop and would have trouble going through dips. that trailer seems to ride level about 8inches maybe 10in from the ground. my ATV hitch is that LOW too. I would see needing a soild axle with leave springs for a SOA lift. maybe.....
Old 12-01-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

I found another more suitable and roadworthy trailer frame today. I'm going to check it out in the morning and hopefully start my off-road trailer build on a good foot.

Quick Reply: Can an off-road trailer be modified for highway travel