Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can the JK handle 35" tires?

Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
desertman

Default Can the JK handle 35" tires?

Can the JK axles, axle u-joints and driveshafts/CV joints handle the loads of 35 inch tires? It seems the prevailing wisdom for the TJ was that the driveline could handle 33" tires but 35's would push it to the limits of the design.

Are there any "manufacturer" recommendations for tire size in the owners manual or other documents? A Jeep dealer told me the warranty for TJ's is good up to 3" lift and 33" tires, but not beyond.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it can't handle 35" tires, there's gonna be a lot of broken jeeps on the trail, mine included.

I Did the unthinkable today and called my Jeep dealer. My black Rubicon is in production right now. I asked if I could change the color to Rescue Green. Steve White (Hickory, NC) said no problem. He'll sell the black one off the lot and he ordered a new one today with same options, except in Rescue Green. Now the wait starts over again. By the way, I got mine $75 over invoice, good deal?!

Wish there had been more pics of the rescue green when I ordered mine.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

At least I'm not the only one to panic post order and change the color. My dealer said as long as it's in 'D' status or earlier, the color can be changed with a phone call on their part to theirDMC contact.

I'm probably the only one to have it changed twice, though.
I'm sorry you had to start over in the waiting game. Do you know what staus you were in when you decided to make the switch?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by desertman
Can the JK axles, axle u-joints and driveshafts/CV joints handle the loads of 35 inch tires? It seems the prevailing wisdom for the TJ was that the driveline could handle 33" tires but 35's would push it to the limits of the design.

Are there any "manufacturer" recommendations for tire size in the owners manual or other documents? A Jeep dealer told me the warranty for TJ's is good up to 3" lift and 33" tires, but not beyond.
There are no manufacturer recomendations about anything aftermarket, to my knowledge. Each dealership will treat each case individually. It's not that a Jeep with 3" of lift and 35" tires isn't under warranty. But then again, a Jeep wih 3" of lift and 35" tires aren't necessarily under warranty either. It just depends on each case.

As far as driveshafts and the like on the JK, I'm not sure, honestly. TJs, it's common to upgrade axles, driveshafts, and regear with 35" tires and all that comes with it. Having said all that, the cost of new axles, regearing, and a lift will cost you less for a JK then for just the LA lift itself on a TJ.

Clear as mud?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

At least I'm not the only one to panic post order and change the color. My dealer said as long as it's in 'D' status or earlier, the color can be changed with a phone call on their part to theirDMC contact.

I'm probably the only one to have it changed twice, though.
I'm sorry you had to start over in the waiting game. Do you know what staus you were in when you decided to make the switch?
Oh man!! I felt bad enough doing it once. Made me feel so wishy-washy like I couldn't make up my mind. But TWICE?! I hope you didn't change it back to the first color!!! Tell me you didn't... What did you end up with?

As for the order status, I thought he said "D status" also, but he told me it was too late, so I may be wrong. Is $75 over invoice a good price?

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
the front axle shafts are NOT cv shafts. Just the driveshafts

HP30/D44 should hold up fine. That's what TONS of people run 35's on now.
I believe the hovering jeeps shouldnt have any problems.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 AM
JK Super Freak

No, I went from Red Rock which started to look suspiciously like Redskin Red (unacceptable in my book), to Jeep Green, and then to Flame Red (my original choice, before I saw a red rock and placed my order). I saw the red rock and didn't like the dark gray inside, so I limited my choices to whatever had the khaki inside. When I finally saw the khaki inside (with Charcoal Carpet), I didn't like the two tone look, so I decided I would rather have the charcoal, which opened up more color options for me, including my first choice, flame red. It also helped after seeing more WOL's Flame red pics, and the Test Drive Show where there was a flame red Rubicon.

$75 over invoice is not bad at all. Here everyone is paying sticker. I got mine for 1% under invoice because of my corporate discount. But the invoice price has a few questionable charges for mailings and ad campaigns- about $450 total!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 PM
***erator

Most of the drive train is beefier than the TJ. And the dealer will put the mopar lift and 35s on and it is covered under warranty. I haven't had any real problems with mine but this type of abuse and larger tires will eventually break something.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Since this thread was started two years ago, I guess it is a good example of how ideas, thoughts, and concerns can change over time.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Just because the dealer puts it on doesn't mean that it is still under warranty.

Quick Reply: Can the JK handle 35" tires?