Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

can i trust shops

Old 04-23-2016, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i trust shops

can most off road specialized auto shops be trusted to properly install a lift kit?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:37 PM
JK Newbie

Yes. If you don't trust them do it yourself, then you don't have to think about it.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It's really important that the shop torque down the control arms, track bars, etc after the lift is fully installed and the vehicle weight is fully on the tires (with all of those parts still loose and unbound). Shakes, shimmies and even death wobble can occur if not done that way. Yet, for many shops that means the mechanic is crawling around under your vehicle on the ground. If they don't have a pit, or a lift that raises the vehicle by the tires (not the frame), ask how they will torque all of that down. If they argue that it isn't necessary to torque all of it as I've described, find another shop.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Work on it yourself, save money and learn more about you jeep.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

I dont, call and ask questions.if they dont listen find another shop.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Former Vendor

Lots of good shops out there. Keep in mind that they are only as good as their weakest tech. The question is who will actually be doing the work and do you trust that employee? When there is an issue, it is usually related to attention to detail or the desire to take the time to do it right (such as lowering the Jeep and then torquing bolts). Small things like using a paint marker after torquing a bolt would be things to look for. Even the best tech can miss something on accident, so those types of tricks prevent them from missing something.

On the flip side, we've seen control arms mounted on the wrong side, track bars upside down, and the list goes on. Every vehicle is different. Finding a shop that specializes in Jeeps and JKs would be the best bet.

That all said, doing it yourself is the only sure way to know it is done right.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4
That all said, doing it yourself is the only sure way to know it is done right.
Not that doing it yourself necessarily means it's done right. I'm sure that most of us can remember a few mistakes we have made with various lifts and mods. But, even doing it wrong can be a great step in the 'learning experience' for owning and working on our jeeps.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

I have never had any issues with using a shop for anything, most shops back their work. I just did my own lift and I am glad that I did because like most people are saying, I ran into some snags and had to do some research, but I learned so much more about the jeep while doing so.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Do your homework and make sure the shop has a good rep in general, then make sure the shop does suspension lifts, and particulately JK lifts routinely.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always double check everything a shop does, trust no one with your safety.

Quick Reply: can i trust shops