Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can I put 35x12.5x18 toyo mt on spare tire carrier

Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by storch
FYI

i am using the smitty build oversize tire carrier on the tailgate, it is much stronger than OEM and spreads out the load more across the gate.

so far so good, the tailgate is holding up fine to daily driving, have not been doing any aggressive jumps or bumps offroad.
I looked at that as well, as its a nother cheap option, but it doesnt look like it actually relieves any stress from the gate hinges. Any pics of it installed with the tire?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

I will check out both of those. I have rsearched here and found not many issues with door itself, but the hinges. Are there any replacement heavier hinges by chance?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I love my or-fab rear rack!

I got this puppy because after adding up the costs and hearing about the problems people have with some of the swing arms out there, I was sold.

After installing it and using it for over a year, I am still surprised how well it works!

Check out some pic's of my rack-> OR FAB ADAPTER KIT FOR NON LIP GAS CAN For Christmas!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

I have been looking at that one. Good price and looks cool.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

It'll hold, but it's like playing with fire... how long before you get burned? Some people have gone a month while others have gone over a year or more with nothing happening. Me personally, I ran with the MBRP kit which doesn't do much in my opinion since the weight is still holding onto that gate with it's weak welds for about 2 months before I swapped out for a rear tire carrier and bumper.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

I dont think its worth trying. Doing some research there are some reasonably priced carriers out there.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 35x12.50x17 Toyo MT on mine, been connected for over six months with no fatigue or failure whatsoever. Knock on wood, i think it will hold fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

See then I hear people like that and I feel I dont need one. Right now I am driving without a spare and it is nice because the gate is so light. I just need to win the lotto so I could buy a new front and rear bumper, new lift, and maybe a hemi. Why not? Unfortunately reality bites.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

I didnt' want to chance busting my tailgate or hinges when I went to 35's. I didn't have a lot of cash to burn on an expensive tire carrier either. I went with the rancho tire carrier, it was less than $400 shipped to my door. The downside to the Rancho is that it rattles a little, and the pin they provide sucks. I moved the little bumper thingy on the tailgate so it is compressed by the hi-lift I mounted and it knocked the rattle down a bit. I also got a different pin from tractor supply. It's not the highest quality bumper/tire carrier out there but for the money it ain't bad.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

I am really liking the AEV since it connects to stock bumper. I know its expensive, but i will drive without spare till i can save up or find used.

Quick Reply: Can I put 35x12.5x18 toyo mt on spare tire carrier