Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

can i get some help with these?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjk
and cannons, every jeep needs cannons. take care of those pesky prius's.
that's awesome.

The folding seats are a great idea. Might be better in an Unlimited then a 2dr just for space reasons. I don't think I could lay down in the back of my JKX and I'm 6' tall. But that shouldn't be too hard to do, theoretically.

Electric rear window would be sweet...like an old school station wagon. I can see that being really practical. I just don't think there's enough space in the tail gate to house the entire window. Could leave a portion sticking out I suppose.

I'm not really sure what you mean about side mirror dents in relation to the fender or the air vents

A lexan top would be pretty bad ass. Kinda like the Explorers in Jurassic Park! I don't even know about the auto tinting aspect though, I've never even heard of that for lexan. The best you could probably do without fabricating a new top is make a couple skylights in the existing hard top. It's pretty rigid so you wouldn't give up to much structural integrity. That would probably be the easiest of all the proposed ideas too. Plexy glass would do the trick and it's not all that expensive, just for proof of concept....good luck
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default more clear

as for the seats folding the front seats would fold as well to match up with the rear. So instead of fold and tumble forward it would fold back and raise. Simple bracket change and seat redesign. Obviously there would need to be some attachments to fill in the gaps but it would probably be the same as carrying a tent and a sleeping bag.

as for the electric window in the back. I wasnt thinking of an station wagon. toyota four runners have them. and as of now with my rear seat, head rests and that huge wiper motor, I can see maybe one foot of window area through my rear view mirror. The tailgate would have to be taller to enclose the size window thats there now.

As for the LEXAN.. It is a material they use for racing that doesn't break. So, It'd be stronger than regular plexiglass or the chalk top we now have. I did this (pictures below) to the Jeep as soon as I could find someone that could cut glass this well. He did plexi and not glass and the sun and the weather have not been too kind. It shows wear. But I still wouldn't have it any other way. I get to see the sun a lot more out of the year I even get to see some of those pesky stop lights. I also tried the platidip to color the inner latches red. So when people need to use my jeep and want to take of the top the insntructions are simple.. Move red things.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

That doesn't look too bad
Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nickwatson
It appears some think I'm drunk. I'm not.

I hope someone will read this in the future that can help with my ideas on how to make the jeep better..
a power rear window is a good idea.
a full clear Lexan Transitions top is doable.
and the folding functional sleep seats makes complete sense.
thanks for laughing at one man's dreams.
Don't be quite so thin skinned...

a power rear window is a good idea. Might be, but there really is no room for it in the tailgate.

a full clear Lexan Transitions top is doable. Maybe, but have you investigated how (or if it is even possible or legal) to incorporate the Transitions technology, and at what cost?

and the folding functional sleep seats makes complete sense. This is doable.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

I love the look and idea of having removable glass tops, kind of like your old school t-tops!

Big issues with plexiglass and Lexan is it doesn't fair to well with UVC (sunlight) causes both materials to break down, the yellowing effect. Also, both materials are not commonly used on these types of operations due to them being very soft and scratching.

Oh, and for the comments that well come up about having glass above your head while off roading; you have it 18" in front of your face and that gravity works well! Because the main way you would break it would be to roll over!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We should contact the guys at Marvel Comics...

Remember that invisible airplane that Wonder Woman had? Maybe they could design us a Jeep made out of the same magical invisible material. I'm not sure what it was but I don't think it was Lexan. It would be pretty cool to be riding down the road and all people could see was your body but no Jeep.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 PM
JK Newbie

It'd also be pretty cool to be an asswhole on a thread with some constructive shit to say. Maybe you could learn a lesson from your mother that if you don't got nothing nice to say maybe you could shut the f*ck up and let the adults talk. I've presented something that has value and you just want to shit on peoples ideas for improvement. Good post superman.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

I would like to know if it would be possible to cut a hole in the floor of my jeep just in case I run out gas I can get to the gas station Fred Flintstone style....YABBA DABBA DOOO!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
dad, your drunk. Go to bed.

Sent from my pc36100 using tapatalk
hahahaha!!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nickwatson
As for the LEXAN.. It is a material they use for racing that doesn't break. So, It'd be stronger than regular plexiglass or the chalk top we now have. I did this (pictures below) to the Jeep as soon as I could find someone that could cut glass this well. He did plexi and not glass and the sun and the weather have not been too kind. It shows wear. But I still wouldn't have it any other way. I get to see the sun a lot more out of the year I even get to see some of those pesky stop lights. I also tried the platidip to color the inner latches red. So when people need to use my jeep and want to take of the top the insntructions are simple.. Move red things.
This is awesome. It's exactly what I've been thinking for a while. Even posted a thread sometime ago asking if anyone knew who made these hard top inserts. This is exactly what I have in mind.

Polycarbonate (aka Lexan, Makrolon, etc) is not the best material for that. It is very good on impact (e.g. bulletproof applications) but not abrasion or UV. You will need tempered glass for that, as car's sunroofs do. The transition effect would be very expensive for that large area, therefore better doing as in current cars: a sliding sun-blocking screen).

This project is on my list for my JK. I believe glass shops should be able to provide the glass in the correct dimension if you give them a cardboard template, as architects do when they want a custom size window.

What did you use to seal? Is that black silicone?

Quick Reply: can i get some help with these?