Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can I drill into the firewall?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I drill into the firewall?

So far I've added an amplifier, CB radio, and fog lights. Since these came one at a time I have been running my main power directly to the battery and well other than looking like crap this really isn't the best way to go. Especially if I end up with an electrical problem and need to take it to the dealership.

I'm looking at adding something like this on the fire wall directly behind the battery.

Can I drill a hole for the mounting screws in the firewall behind the battery without running into airbag system or anything else?

This really isn't an electrical question so I figured this forum was appropriate, please move if I was mistaken

Last edited by hiteck; 01-11-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it'd be tough to drill anything on the passenger side. With the blower and stuff right there. I'm assuming you want it in the cabin???

The only way to really tell, is pick a spot you want it, and look on the other side of the firewall to see if anything is there... The passenger side is loaded with crap, so I don't think there's a real yes or no.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Why not run one heavy gauge wire through the firewall to your fuse block and find a convenient place to mount the fuse block under the dash (like behind the glove box)? This puts the fuse block out of the weather and allows for othe methods of attachment.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is plenty of room here

thats not my jeep, its another jk-forum members
Old 01-11-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

The fuse block I have is a little different than the one posted. Mine is also a distribution block. I'll be running a 8 ga. wire to a terminal which will make one side of all fusable links hot. The fuse will then complete the circuit.

I was planning on pulling the battery and mounting directly behind the battery. This will make it a short run of 8 ga to the distribution block, andmake it easy to get to. Not to mention it would be in close proximity of other fuses when checking for blown fuses.

I was trying to avoid running 8 ga wire on a large enough fuse to run everything I want/need through the firewall.

Quick Reply: Can I drill into the firewall?