Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can compressors hold up to the elements?

Old 04-06-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can compressors hold up to the elements?

I have this 12V air compressor. Doing the poor man's on board air. The compressor runs and fills the 33s great and in a very short time. What I wanted to know if compressors can take the elements of sun, rain, snow, ice, mud, water, etc...I don't want to take up trunk space, since I only have a 2DR and need that space. I want to mount this compressor between the grill and radiator. Can constant elements damage the compressor?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Junkie

Some can and some cant. Alot depends on whether it is sealed or not. Usually the manufacturer will tell you, but you can also tell by looking over the compressor. If you see cracks, holes or vents in the motor housing, then its not sealed. I have a viair 450c that is sealed. It is ok to mount it under a vehicle, but they still recommend some protection from the elements. I have mine mounted in my front bumper which gives it a little protection.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Its hard to say w/out seeing the compressor first hand. My arb has held up well for over 100k mounted b/tween the radiator and engine on my 4runner.
Two things I would be concerned w/ looking at the pic. you posted.
1: You would have to hard wire it to the battery rather than use the clamps. If a clamp popped loose it could be shredded or shred your fan and potentially other parts.
2: Mounting btween the grill and radiator could seriously restrict airflow depending on the size of the compressor unit.

Post pics after you mount it, Id be interested in seeing how it looks and works.

Edit: And what bly109 said reguarding the unit itself, my arb is well sealed.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
I have this 12V air compressor. Doing the poor man's on board air. The compressor runs and fills the 33s great and in a very short time. What I wanted to know if compressors can take the elements of sun, rain, snow, ice, mud, water, etc...I don't want to take up trunk space, since I only have a 2DR and need that space. I want to mount this compressor between the grill and radiator. Can constant elements damage the compressor?

this is where I installed my MF 1050 compressor

Old 04-06-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

thats the harbor freight air compressor. runs very hot. put some ice from your beer cooler on it in the summer time. fills my 35's while only taking 2 beers. should fill 33's on one beer.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

You can also pick this one up at Costco...It comes with a carry bag, I just stick mine in my tool chest in the back.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 AM
JK Junkie

One of my other concearns is cracking the heatsink/head after a fill if cold water gets on it. Is that possible?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
One of my other concearns is cracking the heatsink/head after a fill if cold water gets on it. Is that possible?
It's possible. But I doubt that rain would do this unless the compressor unevenly cools. A dip in the water may be another thing.

I have seen many turbo diesel Jeeps dip their turbos in water without them exploding. I guess it comes down to the component being tolerant to uneven cooling or not.

Mounting behind the grille is more likely to destroy the compressor if water finds its way into the compressor's cylinder. If you drive in water I don't think your compressor will last long in this location.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

What also affects the performance of these compressors is heat. The duty cycle of most small compressors is relatively short due to heat build up from normal use. They shut off automatically after reaching a certain max temperature, even sooner if they are running at high PSI to fill a tank.

Most of these small compressors have only a 30% duty cycle which means they can operate approx 20 minutes continously at normal load, then shut down and then require 40 minutes to cool. If they dont do this, they burn up.

If you install the compressor in a "hot" location, the compressors duty cycle will be diminished significantly because it wont be able to dissipate heat effectively. If at all possible, install it a cool location.

In front of the radiator sounds like a good location as long as you are constantly moving and getting cool air. If you stop to air up, the heat of the radiator could affect the compressor's duty cycle. However, you are also very exposed to the elements, perhaps more than in any other location.

So, choose your compressor and location carefully...

Other mounting locations:

Tire carrier
On, in or under a bumper
Roll bar
Under body/frame
Next to or on top of winch

You might want to consider an alternative: Build you own power tank (which is compressed C02 in a tank) for less than $150. Works very well and you can even run air tools. Mount it to your roll bar.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

they mounted my ARB high output compressor under the drivers seat. It fits fine and is out of the eliments. Then when I want to use it to air up the coupler is clean and easy to reach.

Quick Reply: Can compressors hold up to the elements?