Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can anyone answer a tire question?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone answer a tire question?

I added 5.13 the other day and once that was completed added the item to my flashpaq along with tire size. My alignment was a little off since adding 35 size tires on. So I went and got my tire alignment done to get my steering wheel straighter and all. My question is. Is that when I put it in to do that should I have tuned my jk back to stock on flashpaq or does it not matter? Cause now the drive feels weird steering really no different and now the steering wheel shakes a little when i get around 45-50 mph then stops but comes back sometimes. Guy try to tell me it's normal for it to shake with those tire size but it didn't before. But is it cause of the chip I have and didnt go back to stock? Any advice be great.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

That guy is full of crap. If the wobble is speed-specific, it might just be time to get the wheels balanced.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

If it's a wheel balancing issue it won't come and go, it'll be constant from a certain speed on up. If the shaking started happening right after the alignment, they might have left something loose in your steering.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shaking is not normal. Check a few things....

Wheel balance would be my first guess, get them to balance again.

lug nut(s) loose- get your lug nuts re-torqued after 50miles to see if all of them are at the right torque specs and none are loose.

Check to see if you have any retaining clips on the lug bolts against your rotor. Remove these as this will cause issues with vibration.

If none of this cures the issue....look at your your front end & steering components for loose bolts/nuts
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

How often u usually re-balance your wheels and tires?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RevyJKU08
The shaking is not normal. Check a few things....

Wheel balance would be my first guess, get them to balance again.

lug nut(s) loose- get your lug nuts re-torqued after 50miles to see if all of them are at the right torque specs and none are loose.

Check to see if you have any retaining clips on the lug bolts against your rotor. Remove these as this will cause issues with vibration.

If none of this cures the issue....look at your your front end & steering components for loose bolts/nuts
x2 on this, best advice for ya problem.

BTW I had 35" BFG KM2's added and can drive 80 MPH and no shake - the guy who said it's normal is just trying to not redo his shitty work IMHO.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

The flash should not affect the vibrations at all. It is merely a tune for the engine.

I think that the tires are probably out of balance.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Work in Progress - JK
x2 on this, best advice for ya problem.

BTW I had 35" BFG KM2's added and can drive 80 MPH and no shake - the guy who said it's normal is just trying to not redo his shitty work IMHO.
Take it to a well-known reputable Tire place and have them double check the balance and the alignment. If it's not that, then it could be joints or a number of other issues.

Quick Reply: Can anyone answer a tire question?