Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can a 2009 Unlimited X be ... UN-lifted ???

Old 08-21-2020, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you decide you like that vehicle, take some pics and we can probably help you with what aftermarket components are installed. As you may have gathered, there are several different ways to lift, and a variety of specific components that may or may not have been used.

A shock, especially if it shows a company logo.
A front coil, including the top and bottom so we can see if there is a spacer and get an indication of bumpstop height.
Front control arms on one side, both upper and lower, including the bolt at the axle end of the lower arm and where both arms connect to the frame.
I doubt there is steering correction, but take one of both ends of the trackbar and the draglink so we can eliminate that.
Rear - both ends of the trackbar to see if there is a bracket.

You could even take a quick measurement and see what you come up with.

You guys are awesome! Thank you so, so much! I'm feeling better about it already! Nice to know I at least don't necessarily need to rule out a Jeep with a lift while I'm shopping if it checks all my other boxes of wants/needs. This was the first one where I was like, okay...I gotta go and see this one and at least "try" to get in it and drive it etc. I will def snap some pics and look for company logos etc. Will save the items you all shared so I can use them for reference, I feel much more educated on lifts now. Thank you muchos!

Last edited by kashakoo19; 08-21-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by kashakoo19
Nice to know I at least don't necessarily need to rule out a Jeep with a lift while I'm shopping if it checks all my other boxes of wants/needs.
Even for people that want to mod a jeep, it's preferable to buy something that is stock just from the standpoint there's no guessing what some previous owner did, and most don't "do" it "right". But, if everything else works and the price is right, there's no reason to be scared off. Several here on the board can help identify what you have or don't have, or what suggested changes could help. That 3.8L engine, though a bit underpowered, is pretty reliable. Just like any used vehicle, pay attention to how it looks like it was generally cared for and don't overpay with some "mods add value" sales pitch. They don't. You might even be able to leverage the fact you really want to return it to stock. There are a ton of JKs out there in good shape. If this isn't the one, another will come along. Have a fun time searching!
Old 08-21-2020, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Even for people that want to mod a jeep, it's preferable to buy something that is stock just from the standpoint there's no guessing what some previous owner did, and most don't "do" it "right". But, if everything else works and the price is right, there's no reason to be scared off. Several here on the board can help identify what you have or don't have, or what suggested changes could help. That 3.8L engine, though a bit underpowered, is pretty reliable. Just like any used vehicle, pay attention to how it looks like it was generally cared for and don't overpay with some "mods add value" sales pitch. They don't. You might even be able to leverage the fact you really want to return it to stock. There are a ton of JKs out there in good shape. If this isn't the one, another will come along. Have a fun time searching!
Thank you! I truly feel better! Since I want a manual transmission it's already a challenge finding all I want/need. I can't believe how many Sport Unlimited don't have power windows and locks...even saw one without air conditioning. I sat in it for a test drive and was like is the A/C not working? Then went to put down a window and was like ohhhhh no this won't work for me. Ha haa. And I'm really not that much of a princess, I swear! Lol
And the price point on some of the Rubicons and Saharas just gets too crazy for me. I just want a simple 4-door Jeep in nice shape with lower miles for its age....and friggin power windows and locks! 😂😂😂

I'm even more excited to see it now tomorrow. Thank you all SO much!!!
The following users liked this post:
murdoc319 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 02:48 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I don't know about teh early years, but in '13 when I bought mine, those power windows/locks were part of the u-connect package that cost $2500. I was surprised here in the DFW metroplex how many jeeps were sold with manual windows/locks too.

Your ac comment reminds me of my older sister, who back in 1990, just had to have a wrangler. She went down to the dealer and brought home the cheapest optioned 1990 YJ....5-speed, no a/c, no radio, soft top black jeep (remember we're in Texas!). She got home and asked me to teacher her how to drive a manual.....to which responded "how did a dealer even let you take that off the lot for the weekend not knowing how to drive a manual, and how did you get home!" Back in those days they just let you take the vehicle for a week thinking it would make you lean to buying it. That little YJ had zero guts, was hot as hell in the winter, and cold as antartica in the winter.....and the stupid side mirrors would flop down with any vibration, but she loved it. I think that thing cost like $9800, and there are YJs today that still have that asking price!!
Old 08-21-2020, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't know about teh early years, but in '13 when I bought mine, those power windows/locks were part of the u-connect package that cost $2500. I was surprised here in the DFW metroplex how many jeeps were sold with manual windows/locks too.

Your ac comment reminds me of my older sister, who back in 1990, just had to have a wrangler. She went down to the dealer and brought home the cheapest optioned 1990 YJ....5-speed, no a/c, no radio, soft top black jeep (remember we're in Texas!). She got home and asked me to teacher her how to drive a manual.....to which responded "how did a dealer even let you take that off the lot for the weekend not knowing how to drive a manual, and how did you get home!" Back in those days they just let you take the vehicle for a week thinking it would make you lean to buying it. That little YJ had zero guts, was hot as hell in the winter, and cold as antartica in the winter.....and the stupid side mirrors would flop down with any vibration, but she loved it. I think that thing cost like $9800, and there are YJs today that still have that asking price!!
Oh my gosh what a great story!! Hilarious!! And so true about how lax they were back then! I bought my first brand new car in 1992...a white Geo Storm, don't judge me. Lol
And you are right, they let me take for like 4-days and keep it at home. Was the best way to test drive and of course I bought it! Ha ha

And yes, amazes me how Jeeps hold value...is a really good thing tho!
Old 08-21-2020, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 3.8 isn't a powerhouse but it's not horrible. I'm reeling in on 225k miles on my 3.8 and still really enjoy it- every day. It was certainly more gutless with shorter tires, lighter wheels, less armor, and less doors. I should mention though that you'll want to ensure the vehicle has the 3.73 gear set. I would walk away from any deal with 3.21's unless you plan to swap axles....which it sounds like you don't.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The 3.8 isn't a powerhouse but it's not horrible. I'm reeling in on 225k miles on my 3.8 and still really enjoy it- every day. It was certainly more gutless with shorter tires, lighter wheels, less armor, and less doors. I should mention though that you'll want to ensure the vehicle has the 3.73 gear set. I would walk away from any deal with 3.21's unless you plan to swap axles....which it sounds like you don't.

Okay...the gear stuff went way over my head! Lol
I don't plan on getting bigger tires so do I need to worry about the gear set? I owned a 2010 2-door sport before so had the "older" engine....loooooved my Jeep and felt plenty of power. For me at least. And manual def helps with that.
I'm thinking the gear set should be referenced on the info sheet. So I'll check. LOVE knowing you have 228k miles on yours! That's def encouraging! Thank you!! 😊
Old 08-22-2020, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The manual helps but even with 32's pictured, factory sized tires, I think the 3.21's are inadequate. They'd be appropriate for the smaller tires on the 16" steel wheels, but Jeep did what they did to maximize fuel mileage numbers to offset the mileage of the Rubicon models.

So for me, 3.21's are a no go but if you take it for a spin and like it then certainly follow your own trail. I figure they'd be in the same lines as where I am now with my gears, more tire, and more weight. I've been up through PA and there were spots on the highway that I'd have to drop into 3rd to get it to pull up the hill.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The manual helps but even with 32's pictured, factory sized tires, I think the 3.21's are inadequate. They'd be appropriate for the smaller tires on the 16" steel wheels, but Jeep did what they did to maximize fuel mileage numbers to offset the mileage of the Rubicon models.

So for me, 3.21's are a no go but if you take it for a spin and like it then certainly follow your own trail. I figure they'd be in the same lines as where I am now with my gears, more tire, and more weight. I've been up through PA and there were spots on the highway that I'd have to drop into 3rd to get it to pull up the hill.
Okay, sorry but I not very mechanically inclined...ha ha.
If my 2010 was stock with no mods...did I have the 3.21's ??
Like that is standard/stock on 2007+?
Can you explain in simple terms for me...ha ha...what the diff is? Like what I would feel or notice when driving?
I drive under 8k a year now since I work from home full time, mostly highway and country roads.
Thanks!! 🌺
Old 08-22-2020, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kashakoo19
Okay, sorry but I not very mechanically inclined...ha ha.
If my 2010 was stock with no mods...did I have the 3.21's ??
Like that is standard/stock on 2007+?
Can you explain in simple terms for me...ha ha...what the diff is? Like what I would feel or notice when driving?
I drive under 8k a year now since I work from home full time, mostly highway and country roads.
Thanks!! 🌺
I feel at home in this thread as Karl, Kashakoo, and I all have or have had 2010s - seem to be a dying breed. To put it in non-technical speak, the lower gear ratio numbers (3.21 is the lowest they go for us), are are good for fuel economy on flatter roads, but they don't have as much power. The higher number gear ratios have more power, but they're not as good on fuel economy. Thats why karl said with 3.21s he had to use 3rd gear to get up a hill - he had to use one of the larger transmission gears to make up for the differential gear ratio. I've posted a popular gear chart for our JKs to help determine what gears are ideal for different tire sizes / situations.

FWIW, I still have 3.21 gears on my '10 JK with 33" duratracs and a 2.5" lift - 6th gear only gets used on flat highways, and I have had to use 4th to maintain speed going over the smokies, but i'm pretty happy with it and it hasn't been worth the $1600 parts + labor to re-gear. You dont have to re-gear, especially if you were happy with your old '10, but the JKU is bigger, maybe you'll feel differently now. You could always ask the dealer to knock off $1600 so you can get it re-geared but they'll probably tell you to kick rocks

P.S. Stock sports would have 3.21s in 2010 manuals unless you had the tow package, which i think came in 3.73. Autos came with 4.10s i believe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38gears.png
Views:	17
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	677640  

Last edited by murdoc319; 08-22-2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Forgot an answer

Quick Reply: Can a 2009 Unlimited X be ... UN-lifted ???