Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Camber & Pinion Angle

Old 11-02-2016, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, Would anyone have an opinion or idea how much degree caster can be obtained per 1/8" of upper control arm length adjustment? If it matters, I do have AEV drop brackets installed, a dynatrac Prorock 44 unlimited and a double cardan shaft in the front What I am trying to do is dial in the pinion angle (zero degree variation with pinion/shaft) without destroying the camber. I have some wiggle room as The camber is currently 5.3 deg and pinion angle is slightly low... without having to buy adjustable control arms just planning to cut and weld factory arms to create the desired length

Last edited by Cats&Jeeps; 11-02-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is caster, not camber. You front axle should already have an increased separation built in. Your caster is pretty much perfect. I wouldn't mess with it. The pinion side joint is not going to be straight on and that is fine. Its position changes during up and down travel. You're not going to have driveshaft issues unless you have some significant amount of lift like 5"-6".

Also, the wall is way too thin on factory arms to cut and weld. I wouldn't take the risk.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in the same situation. My caster is 7.8 with AEV drop brackets and the Unlimited axle. I am about to install RK adjustable control arms to get caster down to a reasonable level. Shooting for about where you are ...5.0 - 5.5

What lift do you have and what hole in the upper control arms is it set to.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would swap out those brackets for a set of adjustable lowers. Evo mfg makes really nice ones you can adjust while installed. It will allow you to precisely dial in your caster.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Not judging here, but I'd think that if you're willing to drop some coin on a PR44......a decent set of control arms rather than drop brackets and factory arms would be worthwhile. I presume you didn't spend the money on that axle to drive on the pavement full time. As suggested, some front lower arms at the very least.

Last edited by resharp001; 11-02-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cats&Jeeps
Greetings,

Would anyone have an opinion or idea how much degree camber can be obtained per 1/8" of upper control arm length adjustment? If it matters, I do have AEV drop brackets installed, a dynatrac Prorock 44 unlimited and a double cardan shaft in the front

What I am trying to do is dial in the pinion angle (zero degree variation with pinion/shaft) without destroying the camber. I have some wiggle room as The camber is currently 5.3 deg and pinion angle is slightly low... without having to buy adjustable control arms just planning to cut and weld factory arms to create the desired legth
Forget the driveshaft angle. With a RK 3.5 coil and PR44U with stock arms you should be at 5° =/- 0.5° on caster, and the driveshaft yoke should also be at 5° upward angle with no geometry brackets. Adding the geometry brackets to correct caster for a lift on an axle with added caster to correct for a lift is double stacking. I don't see any way that you still end up at the same 5° with your double stacked caster correction, you should be more like 8 or 10 degrees!

Tell me, what is the face of the driveshaft flange measuring in degrees while the weight of the vehicle is on the axles? Remove the driveshaft from the pinion flange and with the weight on the axles, put your angle gage there on the machined face of the flange. Tell me what your seeing.

The PR44U has 10 degrees of separation built in between the pinion and the caster, so if your seeing 2 degrees here, your at 8 degrees caster. If your at 8 degrees here, your at 2 degrees caster. Get it?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Not judging here, but I'd think that if you're willing to drop some coin on a PR44......a decent set of control arms rather than drop brackets and factory arms would be worthwhile. I presume you didn't spend the money on that axle to drive on the pavement full time. As suggested, some front lower arms at the very least.
No worries, went that route with teraflex adjustable uppers and lowers to start, have had the PR for about 7 yrs. Did not like the handling or ride quality. So i got a free set of the AEV drops, picked up a new set of 2015 factory control arms sold the teras for just shy of what I paid, love the handling. Thanks for the thoughts
Old 11-02-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larry0071
Forget the driveshaft angle. With a RK 3.5 coil and PR44U with stock arms you should be at 5° =/- 0.5° on caster, and the driveshaft yoke should also be at 5° upward angle with no geometry brackets. Adding the geometry brackets to correct caster for a lift on an axle with added caster to correct for a lift is double stacking. I don't see any way that you still end up at the same 5° with your double stacked caster correction, you should be more like 8 or 10 degrees! Tell me, what is the face of the driveshaft flange measuring in degrees while the weight of the vehicle is on the axles? Remove the driveshaft from the pinion flange and with the weight on the axles, put your angle gage there on the machined face of the flange. Tell me what your seeing. The PR44U has 10 degrees of separation built in between the pinion and the caster, so if your seeing 2 degrees here, your at 8 degrees caster. If your at 8 degrees here, your at 2 degrees caster. Get it?
Yeah got it, thanks for thoughts... Will get the flange deg measurement this weekend compare. 2.5 OME HD's with 1/2 spacer. Netting about 3.5 lift without a winch. Running the upper control arms in the top hole of the AEV. Had the toe / caster checked at an alignment shop, pretty confident on the measurements

Understand your opinion on double stacking, wanted the lower control arm reposition to improve ride quality, brackets served their purpose. Do you have an idea how much caster can be gained or lost on 1/8 of upper control arm length?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

No worries, went that route with teraflex adjustable uppers and lowers to start, have had the PR for about 7 yrs. Did not like the handling or ride quality. So i got a free set of the AEV drops, picked up a new set of 2015 factory control arms sold the teras for just shy of what I paid, love the handling. Thanks for the thoughts
That's an intersting build....LOL. If you love the ride as is, why mess with a good thing, or are you just doing it for the sake of tinkering to perfection? Maybe you can pick up a cheap set of factory lowers that were take offs and experiment with them. I'm not quite sure how successful that would be, but I admire the thought process.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Do you have an idea how much caster can be gained or lost on 1/8 of upper control arm length?
If I wasn't going wheelin' this weekend I would actually be willing to go change mine by 1/8" just to measure and see for the sake of seeing how successful you were at modifying a factory arm! If you haven't figured it out by next weekend, I might still be willing to do that.

Quick Reply: Camber & Pinion Angle