Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Camber issue maybe

Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber issue maybe

My 4 door X when looking at front seems to have a little squat..... I think that is negative camber which is non adjustable on a straight axle?? I have OME heavy lift LOD bumper, Tmax 10000 winch and High lift jack with hoood mount... Is my squat normal or have I bent something? I dont have any pics but my front wheels are like / \ that but not that extreme........ Thanks for the help........ Oh yea, the hood mount from 4wd is rock solid but I cant get used to staring at my jack.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been issues of bent front axle tubes and/or knuckles. If you have camber issues, something pretty much has to be bent.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Even though it's a straight axel, I believe there is some neg camber build into it on the spindles. Now if you lift it, it should decrease slightly as the axle will rotate slightly back. And naturally if you lower it, it might look a neg and your toe will increase slightly. Now, these are minute measurements, but since you say you can see it quite a bit, something might be bent there.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RESCUEJPF
My 4 door X when looking at front seems to have a little squat..... I think that is negative camber which is non adjustable on a straight axle?? I have OME heavy lift LOD bumper, Tmax 10000 winch and High lift jack with hoood mount... Is my squat normal or have I bent something? I dont have any pics but my front wheels are like / \ that but not that extreme........ Thanks for the help........ Oh yea, the hood mount from 4wd is rock solid but I cant get used to staring at my jack.
I have a very similar set up as you. My front end also looked strange and I at first thought it was a camber problem too. But I after reading through this Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment and measuring my tires front and back I found that it was a toe problem. I adjusted my toe in and it feels a little better driving and looks normal again. Measure your tires and see what you get and before looking for something more serious.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does it too, but very slightly. My tires wear evenly and don't have any drivability issues, so no worries (yet)
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RuBob
Not necessarily, it could be worn out ball joints.

True, I should've said "bad" not "bent".
Old 04-09-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

I thought mine was bent a while back too. I discovered that it had too much toe-in, and I had backed into the parking position. The severe toe-in cause the tires to "drag" out at the bottom as I backed up, creating the illusion of a bent axle housing. Check that before assuming it's bent. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Camber issue maybe