Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Camber and Adjustable Ball Joints

Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber and Adjustable Ball Joints

I recently acquired my 2008 JK knowing it had a few issues; however I got a really good price so it has been worth it. One item that I wasn’t expecting is the camber is off by about -1.75 and -1.5 degrees for the front tires. There is about a 2.5” lift and I am running 33” tires, so nothing too crazy.

I did the standard ball joint checks and everything seems fine and feels great while steering. The shop that did my alignment told me I would need adjustable ball joints to correct the camber and the total would run $999. I had to ask twice because I was sure I heard wrong (I said hell no if you are wondering).

I know some negative camber is acceptable, but -1.75 seems a bit much and I would chew through my tires too quickly. Since both are off by the similar amounts, it does make me feel like they (previous owners) just beat the hell out of this thing and I may have a bent axle or “C”s.

So my current plan is to look at getting adjustable ball joints and doing the work myself, but I wanted to check if anyone has experience with adjustable ball joints and has any recommendations. I don’t want to put anything on my Jeep that will limit off road capability and components that are adjustable tend to scare me away.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm fixing to have to replace my ballpoints also. However adj ball joints like moog are way to pricy for me. I can and will replace with synergy. Motifs only adj .50 camber I believe. Between synergy and good quality parts on my front end I will be fine.
With only 2.5 inch lift I can't see why you need adj ball joints
Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Most often, when Camber is out of spec, it is due to worn ball joints, not a bent axle C.

Swap in a set of Synergy ball joints and most likely, your Camber will be close to spec.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

it does make me feel like they (previous owners) just beat the hell out of this thing and I may have a bent axle or “C”s.
You might do some more investigating to find out what is bent, and whether you want to prevent it from getting worse or happening again. If the C's are bent, are you installing gussets to keep them from bending further? If the housing itself is bent, is it enough to possibly cause gear problems? Will you be straightening the housing and then maybe installing sleeves and/or a truss?

It could turn out cheaper to buy a new housing. Or it may be a great time to go ahead and start looking for a d44 replacement.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. As far as I can tell nothing is bent, but I am not sure what measurements on the c would verify that. I will likely replace all the ball joints since the jeep has 62k on it and I am not sure they have ever been updated. If that does fix the problem I will likely add gussets for future protection. If the ball joints don't work, I'll start saving for some serious hardware.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140120_150249.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	525105  
Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 PM
JK Freak

I've got 35s. and after I installed a 3.5" lift and teraflex flex arms.. then synergy ball joints have my rig riding perfectly straight and all within specs.. the extra adjustment is well worth it. I also sleeve and gussetted the front
Old 01-20-2014, 11:08 PM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1111154038.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	525238

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3887157691.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	525237
Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Since the neg. Camber is pretty close, on both sides, I would say bad ball joints or c's. If one was off more than the other I would guess bent something.

New ball joint are on my summer time list.

Last edited by GunDude; 01-21-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:01 AM
JK Junkie

Rid the stock crap for ball joints. One side (forget) was reading over 1* before replacing to Synergy's. Be a good time to gusset C's while at it.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update

I went ahead and put on the Synergy ball joints and that fixed everything up, feels allot better as well. While I was changing those, went ahead and added gussets since the ball joints were out. Since this was my first time changing ball joints, it was a pain in the ass at first, but well worth learning how to get it done.

Thanks again for the input

Quick Reply: Camber and Adjustable Ball Joints