Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

cam bolts

Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam bolts

Got a question for you suspension guru's. my black diamond lift kit came with cam bolts for the front control arms. I decided not to use them since I didn't like the idea of cutting the bracket. The lift is 3inches. should I be worried about it? What will the cam bolts correct? caster? The steering doesn't feel flighty or any different then stock now. looking for any help.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

yes, they will allow you to add more positive caster and if you aren't feeling any issues with steering, leave them off. IF you feel the need to address your caster at a later date, please pick up a set of adjustable lower control arms. they will allow you to do the same thing and is a better solution.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't know if any of you have had this come up yet but:

A friend has 2 Door with a 4" lift and adjustable control arms. He had the alignment and all adjustable bars done by an excellent alignment shop that works on strictly trucks. They said due to the fact that the control arms are only adjustable by a half a turn at a time that they highly recomended installing the cam bolts to get the front end perfect. He didn't do it and the jeep handled like you know what on the highway. He broght it back and they installed the cam bolts and the difference was night and day. That is why I installed the cam bolts in mine. I've wheeled it lightly a few times and they haven't loosened up. Everything else has... lol... but just one more set of bolts to check on.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

you'll forgive me but the excellent alignment shop you speak of is full of crap and can't believe that they would say that. while they may have worked on a lot of trucks, most of which use cam bolts, it is clear they have no real experience with adjustable control arms. i can assure you that you can get your caster dialed in just the way you want with adjustable control arms alone. in fact, it is the only way i would recommend you do it.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/front-lower-adjustable-control-arms-50517/

...I was searching for some more input on this subject as well...another member in attached (above) thread was told pretty much the exact same thing you were told TexsDream77, does the alignment place in attached thread sound familiar to you ? Or two different places...cause if two different reputable shops both suggest cam bolts and FLACA could hold some value

I purchased some TeraFlex Flexarms from Dave at Northridge () and plan to get my 3" BD lift in ASAP....I have cam bolts as well but have been hesitant to include them on the install until now....

PLEASE....anyone else with some experience/knowledge on this subject share your thoughts
Old 09-06-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unfortunately 19 months ago cam bolts were the only option with lit kits, so i added them. cam bolts alone are CRAP!!!! the JK engineers overlooked the alignment tabs on the control arm brackets. They are sooooo tiny!!, but i bought Rpck Krawler adj lower arms and now use both. Rock Krawler actually suggested this over trying to "fix" hte cut outs. If i had to do it all over again(my next JK in 2 years), no cam bolts. but the cam bolts and adj arms do work ver well together.

07 JK Unlimited
3 inch BDS suspension lift
33x11.5x16
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Warrior Products Tube Doors
Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper
Oil Pan Tranny Skid Plate by SkidRow
Custom Front Winch Bumper by RoundStar OffRoad
Skyjacker Adjustable Rear Track Bar
Skyjacker Brake Line Extenders
Rock Krawler Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
And Plenty of "CHARACTER" From rocks and Trees
Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50517

...I was searching for some more input on this subject as well...another member in attached (above) thread was told pretty much the exact same thing you were told TexsDream77, does the alignment place in attached thread sound familiar to you ? Or two different places...cause if two different reputable shops both suggest cam bolts and FLACA could hold some value

I purchased some TeraFlex Flexarms from Dave at Northridge () and plan to get my 3" BD lift in ASAP....I have cam bolts as well but have been hesitant to include them on the install until now....

PLEASE....anyone else with some experience/knowledge on this subject share your thoughts
an alignment shop that would recommend cam bolts is an alignment shop that only knows how to use cam bolts. if this is what they recommend, it is clear they have never wheeled a modified jeep and have no clue about jeep suspension. i would recommend that you steer clear of these shops.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shops like the Cams because they are easy and faster to align, not because they are better. They don't like taking the arms off at the adjustable end, making the change, putting them back on and measuring.

The adjustable arms take more patients and time.

Do yourself a favor, don't cut any structure away were the arms mount, there just isn't much there to begin with.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
... i can assure you that you can get your caster dialed in just the way you want with adjustable control arms alone. in fact, it is the only way i would recommend you do it.
was working on my last post while you posted this.....so just getting it now

Thanks for your input wayoflife....I'm no expert, but that would sound to me like it makes the cam bolts a little redundant considering the control arms are adjustable....plus no need to massacre front end

I understand your predicament 0311sgt, thanks for input as well
Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm pretty much settled on the subject myself....no cam bolts for me
front lower adjustable control arms will be here in a week so i can finally get that lift on my jeep

thank you everyone for your input

Quick Reply: cam bolts