Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this a cam bolt

Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup. You got reamed. Good job.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
Having a cam bolt is a bad thing if it fixes the allignment. Its basically taking the place of an adjustable arm. It makes the arm slight longer or shorter by offsetting the bolt. I dont see this being a bad thing.

On a Jeep, it's a bad thing. Cam bolts don't hold worth a crap on a Jeep that sees any kinda of wheelin action.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This goes back to, You should just save up your money till you have enough to purchase the, ultra super lift kit ,and not just buy what you think you need.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4WPW is sh1t! I would take ti to them and demand they remedy the situation. Check any and all paperwork you have and see if there is anything authorizing them to drill out your CA mounts. THAT IS BS! I'd be Fing POd!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

are you saying that they installed cambolts without asking you first? man, i would be pissed.

as mentioned, your lower control arm mounts would have been notched and will need some washers welded in place to make the slots back into holes.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Ok, I just call them and they say that these type of cambolts don't require you to make any additional holes or slots. Does this sound right?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepersjeep
Ok, I just call them and they say that these type of cambolts don't require you to make any additional holes or slots. Does this sound right?
ummm, no. in order to use cam bolts, you need to knock out the tabs on your lower control arm axle mounts and this effectively makes them into slots. by slotting them, you can push or pull the bottom of your axle forward and back just a bit and enough to offer minor caster adjustment. it would be impossible to set your caster with them if you did not slot your mounting holes. they are blowing smoke up where the sun don't shine.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd be pissed. Assuming they didn't trick you into signing some sort of permission for them to do cam bolts, I'd demand that they fix it on their dime. Cam bolts had to be the worst thing I ever did for my JK... I can't tell you how glad I am to have it fixed now.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you went to 4WP in Moore, they suck monkey balls. However, the manager is a real nice and knowledgable guy. His name is Cory. I would go talk to him and tell him this cam-bolt business won't stand - especially since you never told them to do that. That's not what should be included in an alignment.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepersjeep
Nope. Not true. I used them originally and had to slot out the square "hole" on the lower control arm brackets. The whole idea with cam bolts is to move the eye of the lower control arms forwards or backwards to regain castor angle. By the looks of it, they moved the eye back, rolling the bottom of the axle forward which is consistant with a lift. Before I knew to slot the bracket, I tried to adjust the cam bolts, can't be done, the brackets have to be slotted.

Because the adjustable lower control arms were on back order when installed my lift, I had to use the cam bolts. Once I got the arms, I no longer needed the cam bolts and accomplished the same castor by lengthening the control arms.

You might want to remove the nut and washer on one and snap a pic, by looking at the pic of the cam bolt installed, with the bolt all the way back, there is little doubt that they had to slot the bracket.

Quick Reply: Is this a cam bolt