Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Have you had problems with your RR Bumper?
No problems at all!!
74.07%
I had issues with the powder coat
0%
I had problems with the fit of the bumper
11.11%
Other (please explain)
14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Calling Rugged Ridge Modular Bumper Owners

Old 01-15-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling Rugged Ridge Modular Bumper Owners

I am trying to settle on a new front bumper (and eventually rear) and thought I had decided on the rugged ridge modular, that was until I started researching and found a couple of fellow JK'ers posting about the powder coat flaking...then I thought, maybe they are the minority...

So post up, if you have the RR bumper and have had problems please vote and post what the problems were

Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

off-road and with my set-up the tires rub the end caps bad, but i don't consider that the fault of rr - just something to know. i like the look of the end caps, but i took them off for my last wheelin' trip and haven't put them back on. the stubby look kind of grew on me. no problems so far with coating. i've heard of some winch fitment issues, but i haven't installed a winch yet.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKsJK
off-road and with my set-up the tires rub the end caps bad, but i don't consider that the fault of rr - just something to know. i like the look of the end caps, but i took them off for my last wheelin' trip and haven't put them back on. the stubby look kind of grew on me. no problems so far with coating. i've heard of some winch fitment issues, but i haven't installed a winch yet.
Same here. I installed the winch bumper with end caps and hoop, and loved the look, but with a 2.5 Teraflex BB and 35's, I had major rubbing even on-road when making turns that made the body roll, or backing up and turning sharply. I removed the end caps and still like the bumper, but I would prefer the full or even midwidth look.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the replys so far...

I wonder if it was maybe just a bad batch with the powder coat issue

As for rubbing issues, I shouldnt have any since I have a stock rubi and dont plan on a lift or tires (thats why I bought the rubi)...

Keep em coming!!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmat1980
Thanks for the replys so far...

I wonder if it was maybe just a bad batch with the powder coat issue

As for rubbing issues, I shouldnt have any since I have a stock rubi and dont plan on a lift or tires (thats why I bought the rubi)...

Keep em coming!!
Right, you should have no rubbing at all with the stock Rubi, my friend has one on his and he doesn't rub at all off-road. Overall, its a great bumper for the money.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Installed mine last sunday and no problems so far. The WARN 9.5ti winch fits perfectly. I can see that the end caps will rub on the 35's with 3" lift kit so I will remove them before going off road.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question

I'm considering this bumper with end caps as well. Anyone notice if it would rub on 33 x 11 x 18's or 275/70R18's, 1.5" spacers, OEM Sahara rims and no lift?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

i have had mine since october and love it. i went with the stubby, meaning no end caps. and i have the stinger hoop.

still waiting on a winch, but am happy with my choice
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Install

I helped a friend install his RR MOD front bumper on his JK not long ago. I will start off saying that I love its looks, and its possibilities. The thing is that you can tell it was made in China.

Out of the 8 bolts to hold down the bull bar, one of them was 1/4" longer than the others. No biggie... made in China, whatever.

So we get the stock bumper off and get the RR up onto the frame rails. I figured I might as well get all 8 bolts through the bumper and frame at the same time... and add the nuts on the back side. That way I could just wrench them one after another without stopping to put the next bolt through.

All 8 bolts didn't line up from the bumper to the frame no matter how we wiggled the bumper, etc, etc.... No problem, time to snoop and figure out what the problem is.

Took the bumper off, found that 1/4" bolt from the bull bar had been in the perfect hole by chance to hang up on the frame causing the holes to be misaligned. -moved bolt-

Still won't line up! The holes where machined cockeyed!!!

We had to kind of wrestle it on, and it looks great now but goes to show the quality isn't the best out there. You get what you pay for
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 AM
JK Freak

I just got mine I dont have a winch yet so far so good.

Quick Reply: Calling Rugged Ridge Modular Bumper Owners