Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Calling all CAI users

Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D'sjk
I was actually told by a friend that works for Panoz in Georgia that the whistle for the cold air intakes is because we replaced the stock box (which only recieved air from one direction) to a 360 degree intake that causes the air to circulate going through the filter causing the whistle before and as it goes through the filter end.
I have been told and maybe we can find more members on here to verify this but the volant and trueflow XDI intakes do not have a whistle because of the way the air gets introduced to the filter.
All,

I currently run an XDI (great product) and a Airaid Throttle Body (sucker).

The whistle is persistent with both bolt ons, and I do believe that there is no way around the whistle, as mentioned previously by another forum member.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BotsJeep
All,

I currently run an XDI (great product) and a Airaid Throttle Body (sucker).

The whistle is persistent with both bolt ons, and I do believe that there is no way around the whistle, as mentioned previously by another forum member.
How do you like the XDI?

I personally think most CAI's are a big waste of money but I must admit that the XDI looks like it has the most potential for increasing cool air volume due to its use of alum mandrel bent pipe... If I ever decide to pull the trigger on one it will probably be the XDI. Just curious if you think it gives the JK more power..
Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got an XDi as well and no whistle...

Definately a greast product, but I had a couple issues with it... (a band clamp was too short and one screw hole in the aluminum housing was stripped out)... Nothing major and I love the intake...

On a side note, when i was modding my RSX Type S, this model of intake was called a short ram intake (SRI as opposed to a CAI) a true cold air intake had a configuration such that the filter was located outside of the engine bay and could intake "Cold" air, not warm air from inside the engine bay... Even the SRI's with an aluminum shroud, similar to the way the Jeep ones create a cavity for the filter to sit inside were called SRI's...

I'm not sure why the intake for Jeeps are being referred to as CAI's...

Last edited by BuzzHog; 04-29-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
urbikesucks

Default Ar W/spacer

Just a lights out prom date sound
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
How do you like the XDI?

I personally think most CAI's are a big waste of money but I must admit that the XDI looks like it has the most potential for increasing cool air volume due to its use of alum mandrel bent pipe... If I ever decide to pull the trigger on one it will probably be the XDI. Just curious if you think it gives the JK more power..

I got my XDi after I had already installed my Gibson dual exit exhaust. I could definately feel a bit more pep after I installed the XDi... I
m assuming that this w3as because the resistance on the backside of the engine (exhaust) was lessened and the "choke" point was the stock airbox... Installing the XDi opened up that choke point and allowed the benefit of the more free flowing exhaust as well as the benefit of the more free flowing intake..

not to mention when you open the hood, it just makes you smile...
Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuzzHog
I got my XDi after I had already installed my Gibson dual exit exhaust. I could definately feel a bit more pep after I installed the XDi... I
m assuming that this w3as because the resistance on the backside of the engine (exhaust) was lessened and the "choke" point was the stock airbox... Installing the XDi opened up that choke point and allowed the benefit of the more free flowing exhaust as well as the benefit of the more free flowing intake..

not to mention when you open the hood, it just makes you smile...
I agree. Out of all of the CAI's the XDi looks the best.

I opended up the exhaust output as well with a magnaflow so I guess an increase in air volume couldnt hurt.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah that is mine, i have to ease off the pedal or stomp it...but it seems with cruise on doing 70 it whistles...and that gets quite annoying. I am trying to find a solution for it...it is getting very old quick.

I can say it seems I am getting better mpg though........
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just added the AEM yesterday and put a few miles on it. So far no whistle and while I don't really notice any power increase it looks like my fuel mileage might've gotten a little (LITTLE) better.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

I have a drop-in K&N filter on my Liberty and some days it will whistle across a certain RPM band. I wouldn't really describe it as a whistle though--it's more of a "zhhh" sound, kind of like a racecar. It actually sounds kind of cool.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Airaid CAI and Banks Exhaust

I just installed a Banks Monster Exhaust and an Airaid CAI with Throttle Body, and when I accelerate under load, I hear a whistle, which is somewhat annoying at times.

I just want to make sure it's not the Banks Exhaust, which may have a leak.

Not sure at this point, but I'm taking it back in for the dealer to take a look at.

Quick Reply: Calling all CAI users