Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Calling all CAI users

Old 03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an Airaid and Flowmaster exhaust. If there's any whistle, I can't hear it. Of course, I'm 54 years old. I do hear a sort of whine at 5K RPM, but that do happen that often.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Mine Stopped

I have an AEM Brute force and it whisted when I first put it on, but doesn't now. Not sure exactly when (or why) it quit, but it did...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian_crystal
OK here's the deal. I am using an AEM but I think the K&N users probably have the same problem. How do we get rid of or reduce the whistle? I had the same issue with my TJ but it seems, now, like it was much less/quieter of a whistle. Brand new my X had a whistle at a certain RPM range but now with my CAI it seems like it is a much larger RPM range that produces it and it is a lot louder. Now, when it gets past the whistle it does have a nice low growl but I am punching the gas and it is working hard. I know the CAI has less of an impact on this engine. I am not here to argue that and would appreciate it if we could stick to the how-to-make-it-stop-whistling line of thinking. Any thoughts or am I SOL? Thanks in advance for your time and attention.
I got the AEM and no whistle.
Just a nice throaty growl is all.

I do mean Just too.
Well no, it did very marginly add some pep but not enough to worth it my opinion.
If I had to do it again I woulda saved for a snorkel instead which I will now be doing anyway having wasted my money on the CAI.

Play offs?! PLAY OFFS!??!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi

At the end of the instructions for the AirAid throttle body riser is says...."The whistle lets you know it's working". So it's all in the the throttle body and the way the air hits it. Some intakes let the air in one way and others a different way.
I heard the whistle as soon as I installed it, but it sure wasn't/isn't bothersome in the least. I really liked the whole kit from day one. Made it run stronger, got 1-2 extra mpgs, and sounds great. Super easy performace upgrade if you ask me, and worth it.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Like I said.......

I've experienced this too on my 95YJ after installing K&N's CAI.. It should be true for any CAI out there.. The reason behind the whistle is the amount of air being forced into the throttle body. Inside the throttle body (I'm not sure what the technical term is ...maybe measures the amount of air ?) but there is an opening with two sharp edges see pic

this is what is causing the whistle..
I don't know what the ramifications would be.. but if you filed/ground down at least one of those edges...I might reduce the whistle..
Personally.. I think it's pretty cool.. so I left mine stock.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieRay
I have an AEM Brute force and it whisted when I first put it on, but doesn't now. Not sure exactly when (or why) it quit, but it did...
It quit whistlin cause the crappy filter has let a bunch of dirt in and gummed up the throttle body.....I bet.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

I have an Airaid and can detect a light whisltle at WOT if I really listen for it.

I have heard somewhere that if you adjust the filter mounting point it can make a big difference. Example is clamping the filter on at the very end tip of the tube, or pushing it on as far as you can may make it better or worse.

never tried this myself, so who knows, but I thought it was worth mentioning before spending cash on a TB.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

so anyone figure out the whistle. I have a K&N and the whistle drives me up a wall.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

I currently have an AIRAID CAI with a TB and I have no whistling issues.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07rube
I've got an Airaid and Flowmaster exhaust. If there's any whistle, I can't hear it. Of course, I'm 54 years old. I do hear a sort of whine at 5K RPM, but that do happen that often.
No Cold Air Intake system yet but have a custom Dynomax exhaust setup, am considering a couple CAI systems out there, not sold on one or the other yet. I think the whistle might give it a supercharge sound anways...

Quick Reply: Calling all CAI users