Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Calling all CAI users

Old 03-14-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NDynamite
Strange that the same CAI (AEM, in his instance) on the same engine whistles for some, and not for others.

Thoughts???
I suspect some have better hearing than others. I can just hear it at certain times, but I'm a drummer so maybe not the best to judge high frequency noises.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

^ prolly right.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine whistles in only about a 500-1000 rpm range. I think it is about 750-1500rpms is when it whistles.

Also I don't have CAI, just opened up the stock intake w/ drop in K&N on top of a partial box.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 AM
JK Newbie

just installed my AIRAID with the trhottle body spacers last week and have been using the JK all week...no whistles just a nice tone starting at 2500rpm and a great growl when I floor the pedal!better response too...
Old 03-15-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the K&N CAI and have the whistle, also now have a pre-filter and that did nothing for the whistle but it does help keep crap out of my filter, took everything off and still had the whistle, so the noise comes from the throttle body on mine and not the CAI its just acting like a megaphone -- it doesn't bother me at all, just thought i would put my two cents in from what mine does, and with Jeeps thats just THIS one -- i don't think everybody even got the same computer program -- everyones seems to act different,sound different,run different even with the same setup -- its like they all have their own personality LOL
Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I think it's funny as hell that diesel truck owners spend mega bucks on turbos that whistle and here a bunch of Jeep owners are bitchin about it. LOL
You don't spend mega bucks on a turbo that whistles in a Diesel. It's a 5 minute job to get that turbo whistling on a Diesel! Just remove the Turbo Silencer! That's it and that's all... No mega bucks!!!

With the addition of a CAI..makes the turbo sound louder with more air flow being sucked in. One of the main functions of a CAI on a Diesel chipped is to help reduce the EGT's on the higher chip power settings. As well, without a CAI at higher power settings you are going to suck in that Stock filter as that Diesel wants more AIR as you go up in power settings.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
I suspect some have better hearing than others. I can just hear it at certain times, but I'm a drummer so maybe not the best to judge high frequency noises.
Hmmm... Could be. Maybe too much gun fire and loud music over the years. Although, my wife can't hear a whistle and her hearing is WAY better than mine.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

I know that mine has the whistle, even stock, from 1800-2000 rpm, when you are accelerating. It just is muffled by the stock airbox setup. I have used two types of CAI, AEM and Volant. They both amplify the whistle because of the open style airbox, and the larger filter.

If you have the whistle, however slight, on it stock, it will be louder with a CAI. I can't tell you if all JKs whistle, mine does, if others' don't, either there is something different about their throttle body, or their hearing just tunes it out...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the whistle.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

I've got the Air Force One intake. Mine does not have a whistle. I actually have a throatier sound than before. Of course, I still have the ricey sound the mini-van engine makes but the intake is a big help.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_400_07.htm

Quick Reply: Calling all CAI users