Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Calling all CAI users

Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all CAI users

OK here's the deal. I am using an AEM but I think the K&N users probably have the same problem. How do we get rid of or reduce the whistle? I had the same issue with my TJ but it seems, now, like it was much less/quieter of a whistle. Brand new my X had a whistle at a certain RPM range but now with my CAI it seems like it is a much larger RPM range that produces it and it is a lot louder. Now, when it gets past the whistle it does have a nice low growl but I am punching the gas and it is working hard. I know the CAI has less of an impact on this engine. I am not here to argue that and would appreciate it if we could stick to the how-to-make-it-stop-whistling line of thinking. Any thoughts or am I SOL? Thanks in advance for your time and attention.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have a CAI, but if your Jeep had the whistle before, chances are you won't get rid of it messin with the CAI, because it's likely not the issue. The more open design of the CAI has probably just made the noise that was already there louder. Just a guess.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I have an AEM and notice the "whistle" around 2000 rpm, I think. Doesent really bother me, but then again my hard tops on now. We will see this summer though!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

I have heard that if you install a throttle body spacer, it might help. I think this was one manufacturers claims, but I cannot vouch for it.....

Maybe it is a ploy to make end-users spend more $$$
Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just opening it up will make the whistle louder. All engine noise gets a bit louder, good noises and bad noises. So, I think it depends, but I don't think you can get rid of it...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Octane
Just opening it up will make the whistle louder. All engine noise gets a bit louder, good noises and bad noises. So, I think it depends, but I don't think you can get rid of it...
If it whistles then the throat is not large enough. I haven't played with mine yet to see where the problem lies, but since I deal with air flow and the whistle seems a common problem I'd seriously consider the tubing running to the intake, etc.

Run a larger diameter tube straight out, then use a larger air filter and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I shouldn't mention this, but I have the AEM Brute Force on mine, with no whistle at all!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

I have the same AEM with no whistle, but maybe because the headers and cat-back are so damn loud......
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Default whistle

Im pretty sure the whistle is something inherent in most cai's. I'v also heard that the helix bore throttle body spacers add even more noise/whistle...but thats from my buddies with rice burners so it could be different
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the stock box with no whistle. I've run it with the box off and no whistle.

Quick Reply: Calling all CAI users