Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Calling all axle guru's. Not your run-of-the-mill gear change question.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
Soooooo. Carrier or no carrier? Bearing or no bearing?

Basically I'm asking what are the absolute necessities to get what I'm looking for here?
you just need an Overhaul Kit. it has everything you need.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got overhaul kits with mine and they included the bearings. If you have it apart you might as well replace it. Cheap insurance.

My D30 needed a new carrier going from 3.21 to 5.13. The installer can only shim it so far to try and get the right pattern. If it cannot be shimmed far enough - you need a new carrier. I bought mine from a forum member here for $35. I have seen some say they did not need a front carrier going from 4.10 to 5.13 - cannot comment there.

I actually had my local dealer do the install. They quoted me 10 hours labor from the book @ $79/hr for $790 total. They did have to replace one of the axle seals as they had to cut the bolts off. Total was just under $950 including tax/shop supplies/gear oil/replacement seal. Now that being said they probably had 15-17 hours in the install and had to make 3 calls to Superior for help. They only charged me the 10 hours quoted though. The tech that did the swap has done over 100 gear swaps on various trucks/cars/jeeps but this was his first JK. Other than the long wait the install was perfect. No noise no issues great results.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
Soooooo. Carrier or no carrier? Bearing or no bearing?

Basically I'm asking what are the absolute necessities to get what I'm looking for here?
No carrier needed and an overhaul kit will come with everything else you need
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
No carrier needed and an overhaul kit will come with everything else you need
Thanks again, my brother from another mother.

Now it's time for me to walk into a shop with my new ammunition!

Quick Reply: Calling all axle guru's. Not your run-of-the-mill gear change question.