Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Calling all axle guru's. Not your run-of-the-mill gear change question.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling all axle guru's. Not your run-of-the-mill gear change question.

I've been getting different responses from different shops as to what is necessary to change the gears in my 30 front and 44 rear. It seems like it's a mixed bag of internal goodies and I have no idea which really is necessary. All I'm trying to do is change the actual gearing. I don't need a locker as of yet or any extra goodies other than what is similar to what I already have but 5.13 instead of 4.10. The biggest questions that are on my mind are:

1. What is included in an install kit?
2. Why would I need a new carrier?
3. Why wouldn't I need a new carrier?
4. Would one axle need barrings and not another?
5. New crush sleeve or not?
6. Shims, are stock just fine?
7. What is the bear minimum I need to get what I'm looking for?
8. How much should this be costing me?
9. Am I the only guy on this forum that hasn't been inside an axle?

Now you guys don't have to answer every question. One simple answer that put it all in one nutshell would suffice the same.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
1. What is included in an install kit?
2. Why would I need a new carrier?
3. Why wouldn't I need a new carrier?
4. Would one axle need barrings and not another?
5. New crush sleeve or not?
6. Shims, are stock just fine?
7. What is the bear minimum I need to get what I'm looking for?
8. How much should this be costing me?
9. Am I the only guy on this forum that hasn't been inside an axle?
1. Bearings, shims, crush sleeves and pretty much everything you need to do a gear install.
2. If you have 4.10's now, you will not need new carriers
3. Because you your carrier is the correct size already.
4. New bearings come with the install kits and you should have them changed.
5. Unless your install kit doesn't come with one, yes, you should change it out with a new one. Otherwise, your old one will need to be reshaped so that it can be reused. It can be done but if you really should use a new one.
6. Not necessarily and more times than not, adjustments will be needed. But, new shims will come with your install kits.
7. New gears and install kits and gear oil if that isn't included with the cost of installation.
8. Tough to say as the price can vary from area to area. But, I'd have to say about $1200-$1500 is about right.
9. LOL!! Most people haven't been inside of an axle

HTH
Old 02-12-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
1. Bearings, shims, crush sleeves and pretty much everything you need to do a gear install.
2. If you have 4.10's now, you will not need new carriers
3. Because you your carrier is the correct size already.
4. New bearings come with the install kits and you should have them changed.
5. Unless your install kit doesn't come with one, yes, you should change it out with a new one. Otherwise, your old one will need to be reshaped so that it can be reused. It can be done but if you really should use a new one.
6. Not necessarily and more times than not, adjustments will be needed. But, new shims will come with your install kits.
7. New gears and install kits and gear oil if that isn't included with the cost of installation.
8. Tough to say as the price can vary from area to area. But, I'd have to say about $1200-$1500 is about right.
9. LOL!! Most people haven't been inside of an axle

HTH
As always, thanks man!

My quotes have been between $1200-$1500. I'd LOVE to stay between $0-$1 but I'm realistic, unfortunately my wallet isn't.

The only thing is that what goes inside the axles has been questionable... And that doesn't give me any confidence in ANY shop at this point. Install kit, gear oil, and labor sounds right. But that hasn't been what I'm getting from my local 4x4 shops. I even called 4wheel parts because they have a new shop 30-45min away, thinking if anyone has done the new JK axles they have. They too had different answers. They were the only ones to tell me I needed carriers.

Blah
Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
As always, thanks man!

My quotes have been between $1200-$1500. I'd LOVE to stay between $0-$1 but I'm realistic, unfortunately my wallet isn't.

The only thing is that what goes inside the axles has been questionable... And that doesn't give me any confidence in ANY shop at this point. Install kit, gear oil, and labor sounds right. But that hasn't been what I'm getting from my local 4x4 shops. I even called 4wheel parts because they have a new shop 30-45min away, thinking if anyone has done the new JK axles they have. They too had different answers. They were the only ones to tell me I needed carriers.

Blah
Give David a call at Northridge4x4. I know he has helped out a lot of people here with setting them up with everything you'll need. Then, you can just take it all to a shop and have them install what you give them.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Give David a call at Northridge4x4. I know he has helped out a lot of people here with setting them up with everything you'll need. Then, you can just take it all to a shop and have them install what you give them.
To bad his shop is a thousand miles away because right now a thousand miles is looking like a short trip.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the kind words eddie.

Just to clarify one point the Install kit does not come with bearings only the overhaul kit does.

David
Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Doh!! Yes, I should have said 'overhaul kits'
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

also, just to point out for those that don't already have 4.10's (and are upgrading) - the overhaul kits don't come with the new carrier. the carrier has to be ordered separately.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... maybe when i goto 5:13's, i will just bring RubyDoo over to Dave's
Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Thanks for the kind words eddie.

Just to clarify one point the Install kit does not come with bearings only the overhaul kit does.

David
Soooooo. Carrier or no carrier? Bearing or no bearing?

Basically I'm asking what are the absolute necessities to get what I'm looking for here?

Quick Reply: Calling all axle guru's. Not your run-of-the-mill gear change question.