Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI or Throttle Body Spacer

Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI or Throttle Body Spacer

Im wondering which is better. Since the cold air intakes claim to be cold air intakes, which a lot of people are saying they're not. Am I better off with a supposedly CAI or throttle body spacer. Is there any whistling noises from the throttle body spacer (this is what i've heard?)
Old 03-11-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tons of info if you do a search. Seems the general concensus is that the throttle body spacer is a total waste of money. I don't think the CAI is too far behind...but that's just my opinion. The way I look at it, the things cost like 300 bucks and only come up with maybe 10 HP at best. Just not worth it to me. Then you have to worry about your dealer giving you warranty problems when they see the CAI.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

A true cold air intake would drawn outside air into the engine, most of the current "CAI's" still pull from under the hood, but do offer more air intake for slightly better performance. I think the throttle body spacer is useless on a fuel injected engine, but some have claimed it actually eliminates the whistle that does occur with some CAI's.

For me, I use the Airaid CAI with modest benefits, and though I got the throttle body spacer free, I immediately sold it on eBay and pocketed the $70+ I got for it. BTW, I do notice a slight whistle, and a generally more robust engine tone under heavy throttle.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you look at the cost to power ratio, you'll def see that both are a waste of money, especially the body spacer. For me, the difference in engine pick up after i install the CAI is enough to buy it
Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi

I think it also depends on whether you have any other mods like a chip, exhaust and the like. Certainly an engine with other mods would respond better to a CAI than a stock engine.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's correct, but for now, all i have is CAI and Flowmaster Exhaust . BTW, the exhaust didn't really add anything...just made the jeep sounds like a jeep
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bim6180
That's correct, but for now, all i have is CAI and Flowmaster Exhaust . BTW, the exhaust didn't really add anything...just made the jeep sounds like a jeep
Then that added SOMETHING, right?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

oh....details...details

Quick Reply: CAI or Throttle Body Spacer