Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI and a snorkel?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI and a snorkel?

I am feeling a little worried that I may have made a mistake. I'm a newbie to the forum but have done a lot of mods to my JK. One of the first mods I did when I got the JK home from the dealership was to install a KN Cold Air Intake. I could not convince my wife to let me get a snorkel but I knew I wanted a better filter. Anyways, now i want a snorkel and of course I just scrapped the stupid OEM air box thinking I'll never use it again. Am I screwed? Is there a snorkel out there that will use a CAI or that comes with the necessary stuff to revert back?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the snorks on the market use the factory box or parts of it. Volant makes one affectionately referred to as the hood slug which is a new cold air box and the slug, pretty pricey since you already have a cai. I would suggest if you go the route that requires a factory box, request a takeoff here or scout the yards for a used one. I'm sure, others will chime in with their specific setups and how/if they require the factory box or it's parts.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why don't you just buy another factory air box? They appear to be around $200 or less with all the add-on parts from Mopar.

If you do a search at Mopar for Jeep parts and look under the 'Fuel' category and 'Air cleaner and related' sub-category they have a good factory diagram with the whole assembly and the parts listed (can't give you the exact URL here for fear of being spanked as a forum rule violator ).

I did a search for my Jeep model year 2009 but the pricing should be similar.

If you don't want to go online, go to your dealer. The price won't be much different and they can at least verify the part number(s) for you.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
JK Newbie

Damn I'm in the same boat
Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to buy an new OEM air box. If I understand you correctly, just wait and see who replaces their stock air box on the forum and PM them for their stock air box. Or, check in the For Sale section. I'm sure that there are people out there who just throw the stock air box away and would gladly give it to you at a sever discount.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ratso
You don't need to buy an new OEM air box. If I understand you correctly, just wait and see who replaces their stock air box on the forum and PM them for their stock air box. Or, check in the For Sale section. I'm sure that there are people out there who just throw the stock air box away and would gladly give it to you at a sever discount.
this is the best way to go...then buy a k&n drop in filter
Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mattonline
Why don't you just buy another factory air box? They appear to be around $200 ...
I think you may have answered your own question.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input, I will be checking Craigs list and E Bay for a stick air box then. I'll out up my CAI and see if anyone who isn't going the snorkel route wants it. I really would like the AEV Snorkel since I think it looks the best and AEV is about a half hour drive from my place. I used their lift and front bumper, wheels and skids. Really solid stuff and looks great. Very nice guys as well, got to check out their shop.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Default I got a stock air box!

Make me an offerI need your zip code to check on shipping?

Quick Reply: CAI and a snorkel?