Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI or Snorkel??

Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just have to get something clear, even though companies for jeeps advertise there intakes as CAIs they are actually SRIs. Now I know every vehicle is different but if you came from the tuner market you would notice this right away. SRIs stay inside the engine bay and suck air under it, this often leads to heat soak on hot days minimizing performance. A true cai is usually extended down and out towards the bumper or other area near it, sucking cold air from the outside..the down side is easy hydrolocking. If you ask me a snorkel would be better.

Last edited by JK20A3; 01-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK20A3
Just have to get something clear, even though companies for jeeps advertise there intakes as CAIs they are actually SRIs. Now I know every vehicle is different but if you came from the tuner market you would notice this right away. SRIs stay inside the engine bay and suck air under it, this often leads to heat soak on hot days minimizing performance. A true cai is usually extended down and out towards the bumper or other area near it, sucking cold air from the outside..the down side is easy hydrolocking. If you ask me a snorkel would be better.
Agree.
SRI short ram intake, agree also with the heat.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by o09jkny
OK!! Superchips installed!! aFe Pro Dry S filter installed!! AEV snorkel w/ ram air intake installed!! I took a bunch of pics from the snorkel install and will do a write-up later tonight or tomorrow.
The jeep is looking hot bro! You did the install yourself?
Btw I've only gone boarding 2x this season. Sad I know. But the lil lady is due next month so been a bit busy.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkS1de
The jeep is looking hot bro! You did the install yourself?
Btw I've only gone boarding 2x this season. Sad I know. But the lil lady is due next month so been a bit busy.
Yea bud, installed myself.. Let me know when and we'll Dremmel the hell outta your hood too!! Haven't been on the slopes in two weeks.. The fiance hurt her neck a little on Mossy Brook and it's been tough to get her back.. Before the season ends, we should definitely look to do a JK convoy up to Hunter or Windham.. Also keep your eyes open for my snorkel install write-up w/ lots of pics.. Should be up soon!!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

I installed my AEV Ram Air Snorkel on Friday and ran it yesterday in some water that would've soaked a stock airbox or CAI/SRI. I followed the AEV directions, using a hole saw, a sawzall, and a Dremel. It's a really easy installation. And use the Super Black gasket maker liberally. My airbox is now sealed and I plan on running my tranny, transfer case, and front axle breather tubes into the airbox as well. It's like a $350 insurance policy against hydrolock. Pics will follow.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ation-Write-Up
OK guys here's the write-up I did.. Let me know what you think!!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmdchewie

Or put the second battery in the trunk well. I would however recommend altering the installation of the hoses to keep the air flow the same as stock. If you follow River Raiders instructions they have you reverse it, I never did contact them for an explanation.
Does the top of that snorkel act like the aev snorkel with ram air head
Old 01-30-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Snorkel, you won't gain throttle response or low end torque with a CAI, in my opinion. Throttle response and torque are based of air velocity, not volume (horsepower). So you stand to lose some low end and trade for top of the rpm band power (useless to me).
Im not so sure about that... I'm running an AEM Brute Force CAI. I am very satisfied with my throttle response and increase with horsepower! The two are very different in what they do and you need to understand the difference. I understand that my trade off is staying clear of deep water but I'm OK with that.

Quick Reply: CAI or Snorkel??