Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI or Snorkel??

Old 07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMCJeff
Get rid of the air box all together. Don't make the holes bigger. You want the water to splash off the open filter. The factory box traps water in and lets the engine suck it in.
Now I'm worried!

I sealed (weatherstripped) my Cai / snorkel and tested it by putting a hose down the snorkel until no water came out of the air box CAI (and water came out the snorkel). I figure no water came out, then no water should come in. Is it better then to leave it so that it may take in some water? Without the weather stripping it did have very small leaks.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, didn't mean to go off track, but the holes in box / snorkel discussion worried me for a while there (although I have alrady had water running from to hood to the windshield with no problem).
Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a snorkel and gained 2 mpgs from it. It is a cold air intake and it is a ram air. My towing has improved and at higher speeds, the performance is even better. If you get anything, get a snorkel... on top of that, it looks cool.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Snorkel... for all the positives with no apparent negative except possibly the $, other than that no brainer IMHO. If I infact had a sudden growth spurt of the money tree I'd love an AEV Hood and Snorkel. However, since that isn't the case wheels and tires are the biggest need and what Im saving for now.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow!! Didn't expect this many replies, but damn glad you guys did!! Looks like snorkel it is, along with a drop in filter.. Hmmm.. Now I have to decide wether to get the standard AEV snorkel or my preference, the pricier River Raider snorkel.. Tell ya the truth, I'd rather cut the 1/4 panel than cut the hood.. Let me see some River Raider pics if you have 'em!! Uh oh, got that funny feeling.. You guys know, that special Chirstmas morning feeling.... My wallets itching me!!!! I see $$$$ flyin' in the near future!!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi

If you have any interest in running dual batteries down the road, go with the AEV snorkel.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mskh20
If you have any interest in running dual batteries down the road, go with the AEV snorkel.
Or put the second battery in the trunk well. I would however recommend altering the installation of the hoses to keep the air flow the same as stock. If you follow River Raiders instructions they have you reverse it, I never did contact them for an explanation.

Last edited by rmdchewie; 07-30-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi

Seems like a PITA to put the spare battery in the rear, but I do like the looks of the river raider snork.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Seems like a PITA to put the spare battery in the rear, but I do like the looks of the river raider snork.
Isn't so bad. You do spend a little more on wire though. Also the mod to the trunk to allow more space for the battery.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

If I had more wheeling spots with river crossings and time, I would spring for an AEV snorkel myself. However, I am content with my CAI for now.

Quick Reply: CAI or Snorkel??