Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI or Snorkel??

Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CAI or Snorkel??

I'm looking to get either a CAI or snorkel for my 09 2 dr X.. Throttle response, horsepower gains, and optimum gas mileage are my main goals.. However, everyone seems to have their own theories about which of the two would be the best way to achieve these.. A CAI seems great, but I want to be able to play in the wet stuff without hydrolocking!! A snorkel seems great as well, but would I be sacrificing gas mileage, being that my JK is mostly a daily driver? I refuse to leave it stock, because we all know our beloved JKs are underpowered and inefficiant as hell!! Exhaust upgrades will be soon to follow.. Superchips will be added either before or at the same time as the new intake.. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by o09jkny; 07-29-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CAI but if your going to play in the wet stuff more often then get a snorkel and AFE makes a drop in replacement filter for the stock air box that will better than a K&N filter replacement. With a snorkel and the AFE filter you could probably get the best of both worlds.

In my case i hardly play in the water, and the water stuff I do is running my JK through flooded streets when it pours
Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you don't mind the "slug" in the hood

Get a Volant Cai / Snorkel combo!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Here's my take on it..

CAI = Cold Air Intake that sits in the engine bay & draws most of its air from the engine bay

Snorkel - Gets air out the of the engine bay = Cold air Intake + the benefit of not taking in water when wheeling.

Not to bust on CAI, but; a Ram Air Snorkel with a drop in performance filter is more benefical in more ways than a basic CIA. regardless if you take it off-road or not
X2 on that, I have run a K&N drop in filter since day 1 then when I added my River Raider snorkel my fuel mileage and power increased.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Snorkel, you won't gain throttle response or low end torque with a CAI, in my opinion. Throttle response and torque are based of air velocity, not volume (horsepower). So you stand to lose some low end and trade for top of the rpm band power (useless to me).
Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

You don't need a snorkle. The problem with hydro locking is in the factory air box. The drain holes are way to small to let the water out once it floods. I know i've been ther with mine.

A CAI open element filter solves that problem just fine.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AMCJeff
You don't need a snorkle. The problem with hydro locking is in the factory air box. The drain holes are way to small to let the water out once it floods. I know i've been ther with mine.

A CAI open element filter solves that problem just fine.
Nobody needs a snorkel until they hydrolock their engine Kind of a one-shot "need". I have muddy water up to my throttle body in the intake plumbing. I stay fairly clear from water unless it's low speed.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Sorry I have to disagree with you on that.. Unless I am understanding you wrong.. If you make the drain holes bigger then water will come up through the bottom of the air box and through the intake opening
Get rid of the air box all together. Don't make the holes bigger. You want the water to splash off the open filter. The factory box traps water in and lets the engine suck it in.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want to go threw puddles that completly cover your tires, get a snorkle
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AMCJeff
Get rid of the air box all together. Don't make the holes bigger. You want the water to splash off the open filter. The factory box traps water in and lets the engine suck it in.
And if you get enough water around that filter with a 3.8L vacuum spinning at 2000rpm ,you may have an issue.

Regardless, there is no "calculated or set" way to say someone needs a snorkel or not. It is all dependent upon the exact conditions, speed, rpm, air dam on the front, deep water, shallow water, hood pad, no hood, pad, fan on, fan off, who knows.. However, there is no situation where you will say the snorkel caused the hydrolocking.

I've been in 35" of water with the stock air box, very slowly. If I that at a few mph, I'd probably have a different engine by now.

Quick Reply: CAI or Snorkel??