Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI? Is one consider the best?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Snorkel: cold air from outside the engine bay; increased resistance to air flow.

"Cold air" intake: same hot air from under the hood; less resistance to air flow, possibly at the expense of filtration.
A "Cold air intake" usually goes down lower to get air away from the engine, more close to the underside. I don't get why the kits for the JKs are given a "cold air" name, it's more like a ram intake if anything.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by brah
A "Cold air intake" usually goes down lower to get air away from the engine, more close to the underside. I don't get why the kits for the JKs are given a "cold air" name, it's more like a ram intake if anything.
I have yet to see a JK cold air intake that is as you describe.
And ram intake? how do you figure that?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Jeep "true" CAI uses a sheet metel box that closes the filter off from the rest of the engine bay and only alows air to come in from under the hood and behing the headlight. The rest are just Ram air intakes.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

This ^^^

It used to be to have a true cold air intake you drilled a hole in the inner fender and drew air from the wheel well area. Looking at the intake setup on my '12 I can't see how an intake like the Banks or Ripp are going to do much more than make noise vs the stock unit. Maybe a couple hp with a custom tune but nothing that would be felt by the driver, especially without a tuner. I'm no engineer though so I'm could be way off base.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Right. They don't exist for the JK because it'd be so easy to hydrolock. Check out this image, this is what I picture a CAI to be obviously, this on a Jeep would not work at all, except for those mall crawlers.

A ram air intake is basically the same concept as stock, there's a scoop to essentially ram (direct) the air to the filter.

But I guess a "heat shield" is enough to deem it a "cold air" intake.

Quick Reply: CAI? Is one consider the best?