Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI? Is one consider the best?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI? Is one consider the best?

Going to do the cold air intake and want to get a good one. Is any brand considered the "best"? Should I go with a plastic or metal tube? How bout oil or dry filter? Only want to buy this one time. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Try to avoid any with metal tubing as they retain heat. That being said, they are all about the same performance wise.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

You'll get differing opinions on dry/wet filters and brands of CAI. I went with the AFE Stage 2 Pro Sealed Air Intake System
Click image for larger version

Name:	aFe.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	288044

Has an excellent dry/reusable filter and the cost was less than a lot of the other leading brands. I love it!

However, if you ever plan to add a snokel, I'd recommend the Volant for a little more money.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

The snorkel itself acts as a CAI due to the air being pulled in outside the engine compartment. I have measured this with my flashpaq. FWIW
Old 03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grognard
The snorkel itself acts as a CAI due to the air being pulled in outside the engine compartment. I have measured this with my flashpaq. FWIW
Wow, I don't wanna be you after that comment. In theory yes, in fact no. I will leave it at that.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blade
Wow, I don't wanna be you after that comment. In theory yes, in fact no. I will leave it at that.
I have measured with my flashpaq, and you can see before/after a difference between 15-25 degrees depending on conditions. So that is empirical data, but I am dependent on the sensors in the JK.

So if you have data to refute that, love to see it
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have measured with my flashpaq, and you can see before/after a difference between 15-25 degrees depending on conditions. So that is empirical data, but I am dependent on the sensors in the JK.

So if you have data to refute that, love to see it
A CAI is more than just altering the your air intake temp. It is also about increasing air flow and reducing turbulance of the air coming into the engine as to increase HP. A snorkel does the exact opposite. I believe every snorkel on the market reports some HP loss.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my AEM brute force! It seems to have the most power gain from other intakes I have tried.

I use a metal tube and after running on a hot day, it does feel hot to the touch. However, I don't think that would make a difference, since the intake is still inside the engine bay lol.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Snorkel: cold air from outside the engine bay; increased resistance to air flow.

"Cold air" intake: same hot air from under the hood; less resistance to air flow, possibly at the expense of filtration.

Quick Reply: CAI? Is one consider the best?