Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI Issues

Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI Issues

So I installed the Mopar Cold air kit. It looks great under the hood, but I'm getting a ton of noise from it in addition to the deeper 'roar' when the engine torques up. What I'm hearing is a high pitched, whistle type of sound. It makes this noise when ever I don't have my foot on the floor, which needless to say is most of the time. When I let off the gas in ANY amount, it whistles then too. Our Solstice and Camaro both have CAI's on them, and neither one makes such a simply annoying sound. I've checked that all the hoses are tight, and yes they are. Any help is certainly appreciated! (I'm about ready to call the dealer and send the darn thing back)
Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are tons of threads on this, but that's just the way they are on the JK. I have a K&N CAI, and it whistles too. You probably don't hear it on your other vehicles because the engines make enough noise on their own to cover it up. I could hear a little bit of whistle when I had a CAI on my tahoe.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

I have the K & N CAI on my 2010 Wrangler Sport but also added MBPR performance exhausts which drown out the sound coming from the CAI. Much rather hear the growl from my pipes then the whistle from my CAI plus the combination gave me a lot more power especially when added to the Superchips Flashpaq I had already downloaded. Also improved MPG.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

My AIRRAID intake whistles every now and then but its not that noticable, seems all the aftermarket intakes for the wrangler's whistle, its not something you have to worry about, every once in a while i check to make sure my clamps are tight and they always are.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

+1 on the two posts above me. Performance gain is worth the little whistle now and then. Add an exhaust and you will be happy and just for sanity sake check the clamps once in a while.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

That's the noise they make. I have a stock airbox with a K&N drop-in filter. I put the AEM CAI on and the noise sprung up, just as I expected. I had the AIRAID on my TJ and it was just as noisy!

Quick Reply: CAI Issues