Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

cai does it help

Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cai does it help

i was looking at the aem dry filter wondering how you guys and gals like it was it a much improved diff in power and mpg
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dont have the aem I have the Banks CAI and I like it. I doesn't give you much extra power that you can feel any one that says they can is an idiot, but I did notice that I can go up hills without downshifting that I had to before. It adds a nice intake tone. Banks does not claim any amount of hp increase just better performance through being more efficient. I am very happy with the one I got and it did increase my mpg by 1-2 mpg. but like I said you will not notice really any more power increase in your "butt" dyno. If you want that then you need to change gears or put a hemi in it.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

okay wow i didnt know banks made stuff for the jeep where can i get there stuff
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got an honest 1-2mph gain on my AirRaid, but same opinion as above, nice sound, no marked change in noticable power, but seems to run a little better all the way across the rpm range.

overall... it's a preference mod imo. I kept my stock box in case i decide to go to a known wet wheeling spot.

Edit: Oh, i forgot to mention i did this in conjunction with exhaust, they need to work together.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-08-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys that swapped and got mpg increases, mind telling me what type of air filter you had before? Also how many miles were on it?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Jedi

I think it helps...a little. I didn't get the measurable fuel economy boost others have seen (but I regularly get 19-20+ mpg anyways), but I do feel that the CAI helped a bit with the dead spot approaching 2000rpms. I definitely think the JK did a bit better in the Rockies this year than it did the first time I took it out there with the stock intake.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It helps lighten your wallet by a couple hundred bucks and gives you that go faster sound.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
It helps lighten your wallet by a couple hundred bucks and gives you that go faster sound.
X2 on this That's exactly how i feel.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tigerbox
I have the AEM intake. First off it sounds 100% better over the stock intake. It looks really cool as well . As far as feeling an increase in power, honestly, the sound that it makes probably tricks your brain into thinking that your feeling a difference in speed... but all in all your probably going just about the same as with a stock intake. I also added a Gibson exhaust. Between the Intake and Exhaust, you can definatly feel and hear a difference in powerband.
If your gonna do an intake, do the exhaust as well. They are both easy, in-expensive mods, and you will notice and hear a difference over stock.
I am set up like Tigerbox and the one thing that I know is that you will notice an increase in throttle response. An engine is basically an air pump, and the eaasier air can enter (intake) and exit (exhaust) the better the response. Where before the upgrades my engine would struggle pullling a higher gear in low rpms (say a missed 1-2 shift on a manual) now it will power right through it. JM2$/100's
Old 08-08-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Junkie

At part throttle the MAP sensor is going to determine the throttle blade position, so despite having less negative pressure through the intake tube, it won't buy you anything. Where it will make a difference is at WOT and in throttle response. Albeit it minimal, throttle response at cruise speeds will moderately improve economy as the air on demand is more readily available. That's why there are so many comments about pulling better rolling in places where there are changes in grades or hills.

While I do believe a CAI helps, the primary benefit is increasing air pressure in the intake tube which can just as easily be obtained with a high flow filter. At WOT there may be some additional benefit, but I'm not sure there are enough of us who really care what the 4,000 rpm plus performance is. Also, at this end of the rpm range it also promotes having better and cleaner exhaust flow that efficiently handles exhaust velocity.

You really just need to look at the whole thing as a system. Even doing so leaves two major bottlenecks in the stock Y pipe and the throttle body (not spacer). Until you can address those two items you really can't address all that a CAI or exhaust can deliver.

Quick Reply: cai does it help