Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which cage and why?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which cage and why?

Looking at interior cages and was wondering what cage you all like and why? My local shop likes the poison spider cage due to it being welded and I think he added some Rockhard4x4 pieces that Poison Spider didn't offer just for added protection but not needed.

So, what cage do you like or prefer and why? RockHard4x4, Poison Spider, or maybe another? Really would like some feedback and specifics. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Seems like we're talking sport cages here, not full cages like the GenRight. I don't have any of em, would like one though, but I question the true protection of bolt in sport cages. Sure, better than nothing. I've seen fitment on a couple PSC cages that made me scratch my head....mainly up around the windshield area. I can't recall much of anything bad ever said about the RH one. I wouldn't consider the smitty alternative at all. I know a few with full GenRight cages....they are nice, but a lot more work and much more commitment.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with Or-Fab in a 2012 4 door with half doors. (For some reason I thought I read they may no longer make bolt-in cages.) However the point of having gone with them at the time was there front windshield bars ran to the floor boards rather than stopping at the dash..That was the selling point for me .. I did follow through with Rock Hards “c” pillar In the back for additional assist.... And the point? It’s affordable, anything in addition to oem is better than nothing. And it only has to “work” once ! Best of luck.

Last edited by jkk9; 11-15-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Cages are an interesting debate from what I've read. I've heard the poison spyder can leave gaps up front to where the soft top doesn't seal well. The rock hard looks nice and evo has an option out as well. I think (with the exception of the smitty) we can all agree that they're all going to give increased protection on the trail. The issue is when you drive it on the road, if you drive it on the road anymore. Once you put in a cage then you're defeating what the engineers did to make the vehicle safe on the road. You'll argue that it's a cage, it's safer, I'm wrong but when you stiffen up the factory framework like that you're removing the crush zones that would otherwise absorb impact in a crash. Instead, those forces are transferred to the next softest spot- the people. The answer there is simple- "I'm a safe driver, I won't get into accidents", which works really well until someone blows through a stop light or makes a lane change without noticing a set of 37's howling next to them.

To each their own- if it's a trail vehicle then go nuts and go safe. If it's still a daily driver, it may be time to reevaluate your wheeling style or consider a different daily vehicle.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG00
Looking at interior cages and was wondering what cage you all like and why? My local shop likes the poison spider cage due to it being welded and I think he added some Rockhard4x4 pieces that Poison Spider didn't offer just for added protection but not needed.

So, what cage do you like or prefer and why? RockHard4x4, Poison Spider, or maybe another? Really would like some feedback and specifics. Thanks.
The only two worth considering are Poison Spyder or EVO. Evo lowers the dash bar so you can actually see out of the windshield.

From experince, I'd avoid the Rockhard cage like a case of the clap. I put one in my '09 and it's an utter pile of dog dung. Poor quality welds, poor fit and the dash & overhead bars are too narrow. To get the doors to close & seal properly I had to cut away the dash side panel seating ridges and recess the uprightsinto the dash. Even by moving the uprights inward on each side, being too short, when tightened down the dash bar warps the dash. The overhad bar is also too short and pulls the factory side bars out of alignment. That requires you to egg out the holes for the Freedom Top alignment pins, and thus it becomes a crap shoot to get the tops to seal properly. Best thing to do with one is melt it down and make bed pans out of it.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I would avoid any and all bolt-in cages, period.

You're dropping money on something thats only purpose is to save your life. Do not skimp in this category. Get a fully welded cage that ties into your frame at ALL points. The Genright and Poison Spyder can be modified to tie into the frame up front...DO IT.

Alternatively, hit up some of your local fab shops, check out their work, and get some quotes. One of my local 4x4 fab shops quoted me less than the Genright $ for a very similar cage that, "will tie into the frame at all corners like it should at that price point."
Old 11-17-2019, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Back in 2014 this guy panicked and rolled his JK just past Ingram Falls on Back Bear. Friend who witnessed it said it went over twice before landing on its wheels about 15 feet from the edge. Had it gone off the edge it would have fallen all the way to the bottom, I'd guess from that spot close to 1,000 feet below. No cage would have saved them in that event. As it was, with no cage at all they unbuckled and walked away. So, in stock trim you can likely survive a flop or low speed roll. A bolt-in will get you a bit of an edge for comfort, not much else.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/09/...mountain-pass/
Old 11-17-2019, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would not waste the time and money on bolt on cages. The factory design is fine unless you are doing a lot of dangerous trails that will have multiple roll overs or you are racing. Sometimes the bolt in stuff can actually be more dangerous with lack of vision in windshield bars and unpadded hard steel that will not give to your bones in a roll over. First think I check on a cage is the head clearance distance to the cage so if you do roll you don't smash your head in. This is why proper seating and harnesses should be part of the discussion as you need the system to hold you in place during a roll over. The factory seats and belts are not going to do this.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I've never much liked the sport cages, but I doubt I'll ever be able to commit to what a full cage takes. My concern hasn’t ever been up around the windshield as much as the open space up top and what the jeep could roll over or on to that could penetrate that space and hit someone’s head. Maybe that concern is not warranted. Do you guys feel like the factory bars on the side are at least sufficient? Do you think merely welding some tube to the existing roll bars to protect the open spaces is viable or worthwhile vs. a bolt-in cage? Better or worse?
Old 11-18-2019, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

That is a valid concern and is why race vehicle are required to have a hard roof.

Quick Reply: Which cage and why?