Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

which cab cover to buy?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I "installed" my Bestop trail cover today. The thing is awesome!! Fits extremely well. Went on in no time without reading the instructions. Even worked with my rubicon rock rails (the kit says it may not work with rails or steps).

My only complaint is the size of it when folded up. It is very this and should keep the water out, but the size limits it from fitting in the rear hidden trunk thing. I was hoping it would fit there so it could be locked, and used in case of rain when my hard top is off. Looks might I might have to add a lockable trunk.

But again, it fits very well and looks great. My bikini top comes in tomorrow, so hopefully I am as happy with that. Actually my top is in, it is the header piece that I am waiting on.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:37 AM
JK Freak

I just purchased the Mopar cover, and will give feedback when it arrives. If I decide to take my doors off for more than a day at a time, I will purchase the Bestop cover as well, but I liked the Mopar cover because it is light, thin, and easy to store.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

From the retail description it seems the Mopar offering is more of a dust cover and is NOT meant to keep out rain. Promo mentions it is "water resilient" not waterproof..

The Bestop per description is water proof. IF you are looking for protection from rain it seems the Bestop is the one to go with unless you are just looking for sun/dust protection.

Last edited by BILLARF; 04-10-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

I don't think I would say the bestop is "water proof". I threw it on before it rained and when I took it off after words there was a puddle on the duster. I had my bikini top on also but didn't tighten it all the way and this caused a puddle to form on top of the cover, this may be why the water came in. They do mention something about sealing the seams if water gets in.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any more details on the Bestop Bikini Top? I am thinking about getting one, but I am wondering about the amount of rain that will get in.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Bestop Trail Cover and it is by far the best cover I've ever bought. I keep my top and doors off for weeks at a time and it works awesome. It only covers what needs to be covered so it's alot smaller and easier to handle than a full cover. The only down fall is that it has eye holes for a lock, but I picked up a little rubber grommet from Autozone that fits in there and took care of that. I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One more vote for Bestop

I just got the Bestop cover last week, but now the temperature has dropped into the 30s, so I can't test it out right now. The material is thick, just like a factory soft top with a soft liner. Seems like most of the MOPAR stuff is a little flimsy so far.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Trail-Cover- How "Quick" To Put On?

As we all know, putting the soft-top up and down is a pain. What I'm looking for is a cover that is quick and easy but also waterproof, just to throw on overnight.

Those of you that have the BestTop Trail Cover seem to be posting positive reviews about it-- my question is: how easy is it to put on?

After spending 100 bucks on it, would I find it to still be a hassle to deal with? Or is the trail-cover significantly quicker/easier to throw on than the factory top?

Those of you that own one-- thanks for the input and advice!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the smittybilt trail cover. When I was researching, I heard that the Bestop and mopar covers had a hard time accommodating the soft top while it was rolled down. On top of that, I keep my cloverfield roll on top of that, so I wanted a cover that would cover my doors when they were out, as well as fit over the soft top in the down position with the cloverfield roll on top of it. I finally got to use it this past weekend when I was down on LI visiting family. Both nights I put it on, the temp had dropped a bit and I found it hard to get the tabs secured on both sides. In the morning, once the sun had come up and warmed the cover a bit, everthing fit perfectly. We had some heavy rain and strong winds the one night and I found no water whatsoever in the cab the following morning. It IS bulky, but I'm very pleased with the top.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by doojer
The Mopar cover has been working out great for me. It will not cover the door openings when the doors are off like the Bestop cover. But the thing I do like about it is that it is super easy to take on and off (literally seconds) and it's thin and easy to stow. There are pics in my gallery here.
I noticed you have the mopar window storage... how do you like it. have you had any problems with rolling the windows?

Quick Reply: which cab cover to buy?