Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CA SMOG LEGAL HEMI SWAP - Who has done it and what do I need to know?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA SMOG LEGAL HEMI SWAP - Who has done it and what do I need to know?

I am looking to do a Hemi swap in my 2010 JK and I want to hear from those who have done it before and how it went.

So far I have heard the rules are pretty straight forward.
  • The engine and transmission must be the same year or newer
  • All the stock emission equipment must work (cat, exhaust, fuel lines, ect..
  • The engine must be from the same "type" of vehicle can't put a commercial truck engine in a passenger car. Jeep is a light truck and the engine must be from a light truck
  • after the swap is done i have to take it to a smog "referee" for the state and get the OK to go get the tail pipe test to get the certificate

What I need to know is what I am missing ( I am sure there is a ton) If you have done it let me know how you did it, and how much it cost if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks,
Huck

Last edited by Huck271; 10-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look up Brainchild on here. He did it. I believe he had Offroad Evolution do the work.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZombJep
Look up Brainchild on here. He did it. I believe he had Offroad Evolution do the work.
Thanks for the tip.

Huck
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JeepSpeed Shop does it too.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

I have heard mixed reviews. Issues with lights on the dash etc.. has anyone used them?
Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump. I too am interested as I'm considering buying a 2011 at a discount and making the swap.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

I bought the motor and Transmission and they are on the way. Still need to decide on a kit. I think the AEV kit is out at this point because it works with the Cherokee 5.7 vvt and i bought the Ram 5.7 vvt which has a slightly different set of accessories and intake. Looking at BOR and JSS at this point. It would be nice to hear from anyone who has smogged a BOR or JSS jeep in Cali.

Huck
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Huck271
I bought the motor and Transmission and they are on the way. Still need to decide on a kit. I think the AEV kit is out at this point because it works with the Cherokee 5.7 vvt and i bought the Ram 5.7 vvt which has a slightly different set of accessories and intake. Looking at BOR and JSS at this point. It would be nice to hear from anyone who has smogged a BOR or JSS jeep in Cali.

Huck
Ok, here is what I know about this. I live in CO and believe it or not, CO (front range only) emissions testing is actually more stringent than CA. But that is just the tailpipe testing. But because of that, the conversions here have to be very clean. In CA, I would suspect that "someone" is going to plug into the computer and make sure all the programming is functional. You mentioned things like CATS and other emissions equipment you can "see". But so much of emissions control in a modern engine is all about software. Having an EGR is useless if the software that manages it is not present in the ECU. And its not just good enough to have oxygen sensors, you have to have the protocol that monitors them to make sure they are functional - and set a "service engine" light if they fail. CA will most likely verify they fuel trim software is doing what it is supposed to do. If the fuel trims are off, you will almost surely fail NOx testing. I am pretty sure CA will want to verify that all that stuff works. Any hemi conversion that causes "dash lights" would be suspect, but that is just my conclusion. I could be wrong. I know from a very reliable shop here in CO that the BOR conversion passes all the "software inspections" here in CO (very different from your basic drive in for a tailpipe test...) So does AEV, but you ruled that out with the truck motor. From what I have learned, I think BOR would be safe bet. I am sure BOR can tell you if their conversions will pass CA emissions. If they say yes, and I am pretty sure they will, I would be confident you will not have an issue. BOR and AEV take somewhat different approaches to hemi conversions. I don't think either one is "right" or "wrong" - just different. But both are pretty solid on the ECU programming and passing emissions.

Quick Reply: CA SMOG LEGAL HEMI SWAP - Who has done it and what do I need to know?