Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

which c-gussets & sleeves to go with??

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by glomb23
Are sleeves and c gussets also recommended on the D44 for a rubicon?
The front d30 and d44 are basically the same housing. The only real difference is that the 44 has a bigger center section to fit the 44 gearset. The tubes are the same length, diameter, thickness, and they use the same c's.

So any housing upgrade you would want for the 30, you would also want for the 44.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my TF gussets, do the job. running 35's, no problems.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snopro269
If you are planning on 35's it is recommended
I went over two years with my 35's but was careful with it before I did mine
Good to know, as I just picked up some 35's.
Originally Posted by nthinuf
The front d30 and d44 are basically the same housing. The only real difference is that the 44 has a bigger center section to fit the 44 gearset. The tubes are the same length, diameter, thickness, and they use the same c's.

So any housing upgrade you would want for the 30, you would also want for the 44.
Excellent info, thanks! I'll be doing C's and sleeves sooner rather than later then. Just picked up my 35's and new lift and gears.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it still possible to sleeve the front axle (D44) if it is slightly bent? My camber is slightly off on the passenger side, and it could either be a bent C or bent axle. Not sure how to determine which one is bent.

Planning on installing the Evo C gussets soon, but have not pursued getting sleeves for this reason.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Is it still possible to sleeve the front axle (D44) if it is slightly bent? My camber is slightly off on the passenger side, and it could either be a bent C or bent axle. Not sure how to determine which one is bent.

Planning on installing the Evo C gussets soon, but have not pursued getting sleeves for this reason.
It really depends how bent your axle is, since you say slightly then the EVO Sleeves will most likely slide in. Out of the many JKs we have installed these in, we have only had one that was too bent. This axle was obviously bent went you looked at it head on.

The only real way to tell that I know of is to try. Either way it is a good idea to try becuase if your camber is going to change any more, its only going to get worse.

EVO

Last edited by Andrew@EVOMFG; 09-06-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Andrew@EVOMFG
It really depends how bent your axle is, since you say slightly then the EVO Sleeves will most likely slide in. Out of the many JKs we have installed these in, we have only had one that was too bent. This axle was obviously bent went you looked at it head on.

The only real way to tell that I know of is to try. Either way it is a good idea to try becuase if your camber is going to change any more, its only going to get worse.

EVO
Camber is off by -0.8 degrees on the passenger side (according to the alignment report). Visually I can't tell if it is the axle or the C that is bent.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
EVO MFG Representative

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Camber is off by -0.8 degrees on the passenger side (according to the alignment report). Visually I can't tell if it is the axle or the C that is bent.
Again cant say for sure if they will fit, but I would certain be very suprised if they didnt with less than 1 degree off.

I would gusset/sleeve both and not worry about it again. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am considering sleeving and gusseting as my first real mods. I have the mechanical skills and a welder, so I'll do it myself. I have a couple questions though.

1. Why do some sleeves have a grease fitting and others don't? Do the materials dictate which sleeves require greasing?

2. From what I have read on here and TF instructions, the welding requirements are different (Nr and location of holes). Is one better than the other? TF directions have you drill holes where they can be easily accessed for welding. Using a Mig upside down is not the best position for a quality weld.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: which c-gussets & sleeves to go with??