Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

C-Gussets

Old 07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-Gussets

I've tried searching but can't seem to find out how long it should take to weld in a set?

I just received my artec gussets and am trying to set aside time with the welder to do it.

I'm not really concerned with torching my ball joints as I have a replacement set.

So, how long should it take to weld up? 3 hours? 2 hours? 1 hour?

I've read all the write ups and they seem to say, "Go slow." Stitch a bit on the upper driver, stich again upper passenger, move to driver lower, passenger lower, driver upper, passenger upper, etc to prevent overheating.

Any issues in getting the tubes too hot? Or is the concern really just the ball joints?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Never mind, said less than two hours in the project jk write up. Skipped right over that.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Post some pix when your done, I'd like to see finish product.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On artec truss allow for 3 hours weld time...TAKE IT SLOW....not a Joke to fast and it'll pull your axles up....

C-gussetts maybe an hour.....its not hard on them just slow down when your near the ball joints....I've welded up several and kept a cold wet rag near, haven't smoked a ball joint yet....

Just did a artec front truss for biglow on Saturday did my rear artec truss today and doing my front this week if all goes well...they are all straight forward to do.-.

Good luck and you will enjoy the peace pf mind.....
Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BRUT4CE
On artec truss allow for 3 hours weld time...TAKE IT SLOW....not a Joke to fast and it'll pull your axles up....

C-gussetts maybe an hour.....its not hard on them just slow down when your near the ball joints....I've welded up several and kept a cold wet rag near, haven't smoked a ball joint yet....

Just did a artec front truss for biglow on Saturday did my rear artec truss today and doing my front this week if all goes well...they are all straight forward to do.-.

Good luck and you will enjoy the peace pf mind.....
Thanks. Makes me feel more comfortable.

I don't care if I smoke BJs. I've got upper and lower synergy replacements waiting for install.

It's one thing to "bolt" on a part...whole different level to weld something on...psychologically speaking.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Just pulled up at DFW fabrications for the install. Hope all goes smoothly. A bit worried about the AEV flip and if brackets will interfere. Either way, will get it worked out....just more time.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CerOf
Just pulled up at DFW fabrications for the install. Hope all goes smoothly. A bit worried about the AEV flip and if brackets will interfere. Either way, will get it worked out....just more time.

Keep a grinder handy with a cut off wheel for notching for brackets if needed...no biggie you got this...
Old 07-20-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just did mine, slow is the key... you don't want to warp anything
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1511729846.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	480004  
Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Prep always takes longer than the actual welding. Took my brother-in-law and I about an hour to grind all the paint off the axle and get everything ready. Then we welded a little at a time over a 2-3 hour period. Some on driver top, some on passenger top, some on bottoms. Eat and drink a few cold ones. Welded a little more. Next morning finished them up. I would say a total of about an hour under the hood. We used a bucket of cold water with a few rags. The ball joints were fine and still are a month later. Patience is key.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, didn't happen. The shop said I would take them four hours and didn't have the time an would have to reschedule. Unfortunately my own welding skills are beyond poor and I don't own a box.

So, have to do it another day.

In the shops defense, they do some really neat things. They had just completed a turbo on motorcycle for which no kit existed. Their welds were very nice ! They don't work on jeeps, but welding is welding. I think this made him a little more cautious and less optimistic on weld time.

Also, AEV flip kit brackets need modifying to make it work. A bit more time.

So, unless another shop in my area has the time, it won't happen until September.

Quick Reply: C-Gussets