Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

C -Gussets?

Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if I had to do over, I would just do the TF on the upper C and be done with! Just center it and weld straight up each side. Would still use the Nitro sleeves at this point, since I have not had the pleasure to install them yet.(Tues.)
Old 04-21-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

In order of best to worst in my opinion if your only doing gussets

-remove BJs, weld gussets and install new BJs
- remove only top BJs, weld gussets and reuse old BJs (that's what I did with no issues)
-weld gussets with BJs in place

$400 is a rip off. Either they don't know what they are doing or are trying to take your money.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

I would not recomend the no weld sleves. A quick search for instalation thread showed me that they are very hard to drive in. Unless you are able to remove the axle and use a hugh press you end up damaging the end of the sleeve on the long side and it all goes to crap quickly.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

I had my gussets and lower CA skids welded in while my BJ's were being replaced under extended warranty, however, I applied the cost of the factory BJ's to the purchase of aftermarket greaseable ball joints. Since the ball joints are the pressed in type, it is highly recommended to NOT re-use them. I would opt to weld the gussets with the BJ's in place with a cold rag on them.

Last edited by mkjeep; 04-22-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: blacklisted manf. reference
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKbender
I would not recomend the no weld sleves. A quick search for instalation thread showed me that they are very hard to drive in. Unless you are able to remove the axle and use a hugh press you end up damaging the end of the sleeve on the long side and it all goes to crap quickly.
I only found one thread where they mushroomed the end, and thats because they used an axe blade to hammer on! I have a race/bearing install tool and plan to prep the inside of the tube real good, and freeze the sleeves before the install, and put a very slight bevel to the outside edge on the sleeves.

This reminds me, to go put them in the freezer!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

What about the Purejeep kit that includes the backbone brace for the axle housing and control arm skids for $200. Seems like a pretty complete kit and good design.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

EVO for sure.

Quick Reply: C -Gussets?