Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

c-gussets???

Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I like about this mod is that it simply makes your jeep better, stronger, more capable without compromising anything else whatsoever.

I welded EVO C gussets on mine. Honestly, I think the upper half of the C is the weakest part of the entire jeep. I really don't know why Chrysler hasn't fixed this known problem? The bottom half is bullet proof. One good pothole & it's bent.

I'd recommend doing the sleeves just before you do the gussets.

Most bang for your buck mods out there.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIver Runner
yea i will do it, i work nights and never know when i work weekends till fri, so order them and have em in hand ready to go, go ahead and get the control arm skids and weld em the same day, if mine come in i plan on doing mine next weekend (thanksgiving) maybe we can hook up then. BTW im using a tig rig that way i can really adjust the heat and make 2 small passes. i work in a pressure vessel fab shop thats what we do is weld, i would bet the whole thing breaks before MY weld fails
Man, I really appreciate it! I am out of town next week though. I'll buy the parts and drop you a PM. Thank You!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious is to how you guys know if your stock Cs are slightly bent. Anyone have any pics of bent Cs
Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

You would know because the allignment would be off. The angle I beleive is Camber, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, whats the best way to know if your C gussets are bent or not? Get an alignment??
Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ejyjk
So, whats the best way to know if your C gussets are bent or not? Get an alignment??
if you get a Good alignment and stand back and look at it straight on you will see thetire leaning in or out more than it should. they do tend to lean a lil but you would deff. be able to tell if it is bent
Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
Just curious is to how you guys know if your stock Cs are slightly bent. Anyone have any pics of bent Cs
A buddy of mine sold me his Rubicon rear axle assembly & gave me his Dana 30 front that he bent. I measured the C's & there was 3/16'th of an inch difference. Who knows, perhaps they were both bent, just one more than the other. He was running 35's when it happened.

You know your tubes are bent when the EVO tubes won't slide in. lol His long side was bent. I guess the short side rarely bends.

But ya, an alignment shop will be able to tell you if you don't notice it yourself.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
Get an angle finder, set the angle finder on the lower surface area of the upper ball joint. You sould get an angle finder reading of 10 degrees on both sides. Ex, if you get 10 on one side and 15 on the other, you know the one with 15 is bent. I've checked a couple d-30's like this. 44 should be the same. This is not gospel, but its the best way i've found.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi

Some advise on the install of these. Burn them on as cool as you can. In short welds, and keep the ball joints cooled. To much heat will cook the grease out and they will fail prematurely. At least I believe that's what happened to mine.

Quick Reply: c-gussets???