Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

c-gussets???

Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c-gussets???

i have heard and read that it is recommended to install c-gussets on knuckles due to them being weak on the jk when running bigger tires. running nitto 33 trail grapplers and do moderate wheeling.... no Big rocks in louisiana, would someone give me an answer, should i do this or is it a waste of a benny. Wondering out loud
Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have them but I'm running 35's. It seems like most comments I have seen here about C-gussets refer to running 35's. I think this is due to the fact that when running a 35 or up you are more likely to bend the axle C's on road.(hell, potholes are so bad in Chicago that I'd gusset even w/ stock tires) I would assume that off road the strain on the axle C's wouldnt be much different between a 33 or 35 tire. If it were me I'd get em. Its cheap insurance even if it might be a bit overkill
Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

with just 33's, they may not be necessary but, if you have the funds, they aren't a bad thing to have.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the replies, bout to order them now, got a tig machine at the house looks like a good project for thanksgiving since i will be the only one home. i guess it is better to have em and not need em than need em and not have em
Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

It's cheap insurance... If you can afford the sleeves you would be best served to do both at the same time....

It's just putting the axle to a level that will stand up to the rigors and give you peace of mind!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIver Runner
thanks for the replies, bout to order them now, got a tig machine at the house looks like a good project for thanksgiving since i will be the only one home. i guess it is better to have em and not need em than need em and not have em
River Runner,

If your install goes smoothly would you consider letting me pay you to weld a set on my rig?I live in Mandeville and could come to your place at your convenience. Let me know if you would consider this.

Thank You!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

A word of Caution!! Be SURE to have a pail of cold water and towel available. Make short welds around the upper part of the "C" and cool it often with the water soaked towel to avoid damaging the plastic in the upper balljoint. don't be in a hurry in that area.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get them, my axle C's were bent slightly in a wreck causing me to have to run off-set ball joints. AND I have the EVO C-gussets. I would have hated to see what they woulda looked like without them. The stock C's are weak as crap period. Hell, the whole front axle housing is a piece of crap, do what you can to reinforce it.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JerryJeff
River Runner,

If your install goes smoothly would you consider letting me pay you to weld a set on my rig?I live in Mandeville and could come to your place at your convenience. Let me know if you would consider this.

Thank You!
yea i will do it, i work nights and never know when i work weekends till fri, so order them and have em in hand ready to go, go ahead and get the control arm skids and weld em the same day, if mine come in i plan on doing mine next weekend (thanksgiving) maybe we can hook up then. BTW im using a tig rig that way i can really adjust the heat and make 2 small passes. i work in a pressure vessel fab shop thats what we do is weld, i would bet the whole thing breaks before MY weld fails
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Get them, my axle C's were bent slightly in a wreck causing me to have to run off-set ball joints. AND I have the EVO C-gussets. I would have hated to see what they woulda looked like without them. The stock C's are weak as crap period. Hell, the whole front axle housing is a piece of crap, do what you can to reinforce it.
thats what i ordered to night was the EVO gussets and control arm skids, Im trying to get Ms. Rubi ready for st.francisville jeepjam, it should be

Quick Reply: c-gussets???